Amateurs: Gunn hat-trick helps Salvesen into semis

Have your say

Ross Gunn’s hat-trick fired Salvesen into the semi-finals of the Presidents Cup after a comfortable 4-0 win over Premier 1 side Pavilion.

Two goals either side of half-time gave Sunday’s Division 1 newcomers the win, and based on their recent form and margin of victories in the previous round. they will be amongst the favourites to win the trophy in their maiden season.

Salvesen had looked an accomplished outfit in the opening period and two well taken goals, within a minute of each other, put them in the ascendancy.

Jack Townsley, an 18 year-old former Hearts youth player, is a stand-out at this level. He provided the assist for Gunn to fire Salvesen ahead after 15 minutes. After carving open the Pavilion defence on the edge of the box, he played in Gunn who shot across Pavilion’s Scott Walker and into the bottom corner.

Pavilion had barely restarted before they found themselves two goals behind. From inside the box on the right, Dean Cunningham’s cross-cum-shot took Walker and his own teammate’s by surprise, as the ball flew into the far top corner.

Pavilion appeared riled from Salvesen’s quick-fire double, as they kept giving away possession and couldn’t muster anything to put their opponents defence under any pressure.

Salvesen were in full control and should’ve been three up on 25 minutes. Cunningham swept in a cross from the left wing to meet the head of David Ross, who had timed his run perfectly between two Pavilion defenders, but he nodded wide.

Pavilion were unlucky not to pull one back just before half-time after a free-kick deep within their own half found David Beattie, but his backward header crashed off the bar, with Salvesen keeper Callum Eadie stranded.

The game was as good as over on 52 minutes as Gunn notched his second with a simple finish, after Darren O’Brien’s cutback found him three yards out.

Pavilion to their credit were beginning to play some better football as they looked to force their way back into the quarter-final, but found a Salvesen defence in no mood for sympathy.

Gunn sealed his hat-trick and rounded off the scoring on 70 minutes after good work down the right from O’Brien found his teammate free in the area, to send a header into the net.

Salvesen will face St Bernards or holders Salters Athletic for a place in the final.

Meanwhile, Bonnyrigg Sports Bar came from behind to secure a crucial three points away to basement club Dunalba in a seven-goal thriller.

Two early goals from Bonnyrigg put them in control. Mark McNally did well to create an opening before he unselfishly played in Stuart Dempsey who fired home.

Craig McNally then put the visitors two ahead when his volley crashed into the net behind Dunalba’s goalkeeper.

The home side came roaring back into the match, however, when David Gallagher pulled a goal back with a simple tap-in.

Dunalba were then level before the interval after great work down the right wing by Scott Macdonald, as his cross found Paul Martin unmarked in the area and he sent a volley from eight yards out into the net.

The unlikely comeback was complete five minutes into the second-half when Adam Cornick slotted past Bonnyrigg’s keeper into the bottom corner.

However, after working hard to get back into the game, Dunalba went down to ten men after two teammate’s clashed.

With the extra man, Bonnyrigg took control and it wasn’t long before they were back on level terms as Mark McNally headed the equaliser, before winning the game in style with a free-kick.

Elsewhere, Clermiston Star moved join-top of Saturday’s Edinburgh East league with a 2-0 win at Musselburgh United.

Despite not playing their best, Star came away with an important three points to join North Berwick at the top of the table.

David Menzies gave Clermiston the lead with a 30-yard lob after a poor clearance from the Musselburgh keeper.

Andy Balloch then secured the win after great work from Ryan Stevens who had skipped past three players before crossing in for Balloch to double Clermiston’s lead.