Amateurs: It’s Miller time for Balerno Athletic

Have your say

BALERNO ATHLETIC came from behind to reach the final of the Miller Cup with a 4-2 win away to Redhall Star.

The visitors made the breakthrough at Forrester High School with ten minutes gone. A free-kick from the left wasn’t dealt with by the Redhall defence and Christopher Cavens dived to nod the ball in from seven yards out.

The home side wasted no time getting back on level terms, Scott Aitken delivering a low ball across the box for Christopher White to tap in.

Shortly after taking a second-half lead through a delicate chip by Aitken, Redhall conceded three in the space of ten minutes as Balerno stepped things up a gear.

David Warnock brought the scores to 2-2 as he stabbed the ball in at the front post before Balerno took the lead through an unstoppable 30-yard effort by James Higgins which left Michael Smith in the Redhall goal with no chance. Minutes later, the visitors grabbed a fourth when Warnock kept calm to put the ball in from close range.

• Linlithgow Thistle move into last four

LINLITHGOW THISTLE progressed to the semi-finals of the Cairns Cup with a 3-1 win over Danderhall Miners at Kettil’stoun Mains Park.

After a goalless first half, it took less than a minute after the restart for the deadlock to be broken. Jamie Stanic showed some individual brilliance to give his side the lead as he opened up space at the heart of the Danderhall defence before burying the ball into the goal.

Fifteen minutes later, Danderhall carved out an equaliser, Gary Shearer whipping the ball into the six-yard box where Grant McMillan reacted first at the back post to divert the ball in.

Stanic got in on the act again to restore the hosts’ lead when he placed a neat finish beyond the Danderhall goalkeeper’s reach. The forward then created space down the wing to set up Graham Orr, who tapped in from close range to seal victory for Linlithgow.

• Edinburgh United Alba storm to Victory

EDINBURGH UNITED ALBA marched into the semi-finals of the Victory Cup with a hard-fought 4-1 win over Lauriston Thistle at Campbell Park.

The visitors went ahead after five minutes as Danny Coulter’s effort was followed up by George Reid, who made sure the ball found the back of the net.

The lead was short-lived for the away side, however, as Alba grabbed three before the break to put themselves in a commanding position. They equalised when Pieyam Khosrowpour connected with Lewis Mitchell’s cutback. Then, after Mitchell himself got on the scoresheet from five yards, Khosrowpour set up debutant Alieu Faye to open his account for his new club.

Despite their best efforts, Lauriston were unable to create much in the final third and Alba wrapped things up at the end thanks to an own goal.

Alba will face either Redhall Star or Polbeth United in the last four.