Amateurs: Linlithgow win battle of the Thistles

Linlithgow Thistle went ahead early but needed two later goals to finally see off Tollcross
Linlithgow Thistle went ahead early but needed two later goals to finally see off Tollcross
Have your say

Sean Smith’s brace helped Linlithgow Thistle record back-to-back wins as they beat Tollcross Thistle 3-0 away at Saughton.

The Premier Division encounter was always going to guarantee goals and eight minutes in it didn’t disappoint. Lithgae countered and Billy Bauros pinged the ball over to the right for Wayne Meikle to drive into the box and plant an effort into the bottom left corner.

A goal down, Tollcross worked hard to claw the game back and were adamant they should have been awarded a penalty after 20 minutes when Michael Yuill tumbled in the box, but the referee quickly dismissed the protests.

Tollcross continued to have a lot of the ball either side of half-time but chances were few and far between. Piesy Khosrowpour came closest to levelling things but his curling effort from 25 yards rattled Scott Bruce’s right-hand post.

Lithgae eventually doubled their lead. Bauros flicked the ball onto Sean Smith and he slotted in from the right-hand side of the box. With 20 minutes to go any hope Tollcross had were quashed when Smith volleyed in his second at the backpost, securing the three points for Lithgae.

Craigroyston claw it back

Craigroyston CYFC came from two goals down to snatch a late win over Balerno Athletic at King George V Park, courtesy of a Grant Stuart long-range strike.

Balerno scored early in this Lothian West encounter thanks to a little help from their opponents. A speculative strike from Neil Munro fell through the hands of Craigie keeper Gary Ulke and found its way into the net for 1-0.

Balerno had another goal soon after. Ulke was adjudged to have fouled Chris Cavens in the box and the striker got up to fire in the resulting penalty.

It had been one-way traffic in the game but Craigie turned the tide in the second half with a much improved showing.

Substitute Jordan Bruce made an instant impact after coming on just after the break as he stuck a free kick from distance straight into the top right corner.

With that, Craigie were given a new lease of life and they were level soon after.

Alex McLeod put the ball on a plate for Ryan Robertson and he steered in from close range.

With time ticking away, Craigie looked to complete the turnaround and they succeeded in doing so in spectacular fashion.

Stuart dodged a few challenges from the rearguard before pinging a 25-yard effort into the bottom left corner, completing a remarkable 3-2 comeback.

Spence makes his goal count

Edinburgh South Amateurs came from behind to edge out Dunedin Athletic 2-1 at the Royal High School thanks to a brace from James Spence.

In what was a closely fought Lothian East division clash, Athletic battled to take an early lead and Lyall Menzies picked up Paul Munro’s pass and shot from the edge of the box into the top corner.

The game became an end-to-end affair with both sides pushing forward. Spence then turned the game in South’s favour. A ball in from the right wasn’t dealt with by the Dunedin rearguard and Spence tucked away for 1-1.

After the break Dunedin upped their game and they came close to getting back ahead but South goalie Caesar Hurst was in fine form to deny Menzies on multiple occasions.

There was little to separate the sides but with 20 minutes to go South were given a golden opportunity to go ahead.

A controversial penalty was awarded for a shirt pull on Mark Arthur. Spence stepped up and made no mistake to put South ahead in the league encounter, in what was to prove to be the winning goal.