Amateurs: Lothian United’s magnificent seven

Lothian United never looked back after breaking the deadlock on 25 minutes
Lothian United never looked back after breaking the deadlock on 25 minutes
Have your say

Lothian United sealed a spot in the Presidents Cup fourth round with a resounding 7-0 win over Victoria Park Rangers at Saughton.

Rangers could do nothing as United broke the deadlock 25 minutes in. Terry Carlin dinked a ball down the right into Steven Wilson and he rounded keeper Michael Galinsky to make it 1-0.

With that the goals began to come thick and fast for United as they took their chances. Martin Cairney added a second and David Brogan a third with a strike from 25 yards. Steven Clee then chased Wilson’s through ball and fired past the goalkeeper.

At 4-0 down it was an uphill battle for Rangers and they were not able to fight back as United maintained their attacking efforts. Tam Crease got his name on the scoresheet after the interval as did Euan Bisset for goals five and six with two confident finishes from close range.

Then, late on, Kevin McNulty blasted home a penalty after Crease was fouled in the box to wrap up a confident victory for the visitors.

Miners have to dig deep

Nine-man Danderhall Miners came from behind to earn a replay in the Scottish Cup fifth round, finishing 2-2 against Kilsyth AFC at Dalkeith Campus.

Danderhall did not start well and were made to pay when Kilsyth opened the scoring just before half-time. A deep corner into the box was headed in by Peter Griffin to give the visitors the lead.

However, the Midlothian outfit began to make inroads into the game and they equalised soon after the restart. A long throw into the box was flicked on by Craig Lyall with the ball looping high into the goal.

Their cup hopes were dealt a blow when both Lee Smith and David Curran were dismissed from the field by the referee, allowing Stephen Blackshaw to put Kilsyth back in front.

With the odds against them Danderhall valiantly pushed forward late on and scored a dramatic equaliser with minutes to spare. Keeper Thomas Cordery sent a long ball up the park which eventually fell to Grant McMillan and he spun his man and smashed a leveller into the top corner.

Danderhall could have gone on to grab another in injury time but Kilsyth held firm meaning the sides will meet again in North Lanarkshire.

Vics claim vital victory

Newcraighall Leith Vics climbed the league table thanks to a 4-1 win over fellow strugglers Spartans Amateurs at Ainslie Park.

Going into the game Vics were only a place above the basement side and had to pick themselves up after a morale sapping 10-1 defeat to Tollcross last weekend, but they responded brilliantly. Debutant Ryan Duffy cut in from the left wing before firing into the bottom right corner to make it 1-0 to Vics 35 minutes in.

Spartans had got off to a slow start but they pulled the scores level shortly after the break thanks to Stuart Fenwick’s tidy finish.

However, they couldn’t build on the goal and Vics continued to show belief to get their noses in front once more. David Turnbull’s free-kick from 25 yards flew into the goal to make it 2-1.

It was one-way traffic with Vics in front and they soon built on their lead to get further ahead thanks to Kevin Stewart’s effort midway through the half.

Then, with the game ticking towards full time, Stewart turned provider as he slipped in Jason Wood from the right to find a goal on his first appearance for Vics.