Amateurs: Lothian United set the standard

Lothian United
Lothian United
Have your say

LOTHIAN UNITED’S attacking duo Thomas Crease and Raymond Walker both bagged a brace as they ran out emphatic 5-2 winners over The Standard in the Sunday Section Premier Division at Meadowbank.

United began strongly and soon had a goal to their name. Sean Ritchie did the leg work down the left before putting the ball on a plate for Crease to fire in from eight yards.

Not long after it was two, when Martin Cairney produced an inch-perfect. curling free-kick that flew into the top corner past goalkeeper Cameron McCullough. Standard were unlucky not to have pulled at least one back before the break when both Jack Millar and Callum Mortimer were denied by fine saves by Dean Little.

Into the second half, United took their game up a gear and. after Walker grabbed his first with a calm finish, he soon added another as Kevin McNulty provided the assist from the right.

Standard threatened a comeback with goals from Samuel McCraw and Mortimer but Crease ensured there would be no late drama when he blasted home.

• Edinburgh Rose hold off Tollcross fightback

Edinburgh ROSE held off a strong second-half display from Tollcross Thistle to win 3-2 at Saughton in the Premier Division.

After an end-to-end start, Rose took control and opened the scoring when Liam Frost kept cool to steer the ball in from close range.

Both sides came out swinging after the break but it was Rose who struck the next blow, Jon Laidlaw the first to react to a loose ball in the box to turn the ball in for 2-0.

It looked a tough task for Thistle to mount a comeback but they showed they were up for the challenge when they grabbed two goals in quick succession. The first came from out of nowhere as Michael Yuill sent a 30-yard piledriver into the top corner. Then, following a set-piece, Tollcross squared things when Stefan Hay was first to follow up Cal Paterson’s header. Despite the momentum being against them, Rose carved out another goal to secure victory as Laidlaw once again struck home a sweet finish in the box to make it 3-2.

• Spence’s lob seals points for Edinburgh South

EDINBURGH SOUTH Amateurs came from behind to edge out Pathhead 3-2 at Callander Park in Lothian East.

Grant McNicholl gave Edinburgh the lead ten minutes into the match when he rose at the back post to nod in a corner. The early breakthrough was met with a response from Pathhead and they carved out a quick-fire double to put themselves in the driving seat at half-time. Darren Irvine slotted home from inside the box before scoring a penalty after John Ray was fouled in the area. Edinburgh, though, found an equaliser a minute after the restart. Paul Scales bombed down the right-hand side before setting up James Spence in the box to send the ball home from close range.

Both sides had chances to win the game, and it looked like Edinburgh had squandered their moment when Scales saw his penalty saved by Pathhead keeper Liam O’Meara. However, with ten minutes to go, Spence’s perfect lob from the edge of the box clipped the bar and found the net to make it 3-2.