Amateurs: Meadowbank make it five wins out of five

Meadowbank AFC were ruthless in dismantling Dunalba
Meadowbank AFC were ruthless in dismantling Dunalba
Have your say

MEADOWBANK AFC continued their perfect start in Sunday Division 1, emphatically beating league leaders Dunalba 9-2 at Saughton.

Meadowbank went in front when Marc McGregor won the ball at the heart of the Dunalba defence, turned smartly in the bos and finished.

Dunalba were back in the game soon after when Steven Dunn’s cross-cum-shot was completely misjudged by goalkeeper Lewis Orr for 1-1.

Despite that setback, Meadowbank finished the half with a flourish as they made sure to take their chances in front of goal. Paul Martin restored their lead with a header before firing home a penalty. Then, with the half almost up, McGregor found the net once again to make it 4-1 to Meadowbank at the break. It was too easy for the visitors and the goals kept coming after the restart. Jordan Davidson, Martin and McGregor all found the net within a blistering three-minute spell to make it 7-1 with barely 15 minutes of the second 45 gone.

Lee Dennison found another for Dunalba midway through the half but some nice finishing late on from Mark Griffiths and Darren Prentice made it five league wins from five for Meadowbank.

Fernieside’s cup of cheer

FERNIESIDE survived a tricky Scottish Cup tie away to AFC Ravenscraig to make it into round four, beating the Strathclyde outfit 3-1 at Glasgow Road. It was a scrappy start but it wasn’t long before the Edinburgh side got ahead. Tristan Tinning sent a cross to Davie Garrie and he showed composure to send the ball crashing in from close range.

Ravenscraig upped their game to try and conjure a reply before half-time but Fernieside were largely untroubled as they held firm at the back.

Into the second half Ravenscraig did eventually find an equaliser to put the game back in the balance. With 60 minutes on the clock Paul Mathieson headed in Stephen Keenan’s corner for 1-1.

But it wasn’t to be a turning point for the home team. Fernieside had the upper hand in the game and they retook the lead ten minutes later when substitute Ross Forrest, barely 30 seconds into his appearance, chested the ball into the path of Garrie to fire in.

Then, with the game running out of steam, Forrest contributed again as he secured Fernieside’s victory with a dinked effort from range.

Saints put firemen out

ST BERNARDS progressed to the fourth round of the Scottish Cup as they saw off Tayside Fire Brigade with a 2-1 win at Downfield.

Saints began strongly and got their reward for persistence when Ryan Pollock gave them the lead, as he chased onto Peter Newby’s pass before slotting in low one-on-one.

The visitors grabbed a deserved second to make their place in the next round that bit more secure. David Paver’s cross from the left found Ryan Raeburn in the box and he showed composure to make it 2-0.

Saints handed Brigade a lifeline after the break when Brad Carnie was adjudged to have tripped Sean Hearn in the box and the referee didn’t hesitate to point to the spot. Hearn then dusted himself off to put the ball away and give his side hope of a comeback.

Saints then had a penalty of their own but keeper Craig Millar denied the spot kick from Paver, leaving Saints with a precarious lead.

It wasn’t to be too damaging a miss however, as Saints were largely untroubled late on by the firemen.

The draw for the next round takes place this Friday.