Amateurs: Salvesen FC sail into next round of cup

Salvesen FC
Salvesen FC
Have your say

Salvesen FC booked a place in the third round of the Anderson Cup with a comfortable 5-0 win over FC Oceana at Forrester High School.

After some initial stubborn resistance from Oceana, Salvesen went ahead 20 minutes in. Following some patient probing in the final third, the ball was worked to Alistair MacArthur and he scored from the edge of the area.

Just before half-time, the hosts found two more goals to put themselves in a commanding position. A corner from the left-hand side wasn’t dealt with by Oceana and Craig Fraser turned the ball in from five yards. Minutes later, Salvesen added a third when David Ross nodded in Ryan Harding’s cross from the right.

To make matters worse for Oceana, they had to play the second 45 with ten men as Jordan Duthie was given his marching orders for a two-footed tackle on Martin Duff.

It didn’t get any easier after the break for Duthie’s team-mates as Salvesen kept the pressure on. Ross grabbed his second and Salvesen’s fourth with a cheeky dink from close range before Harding got in on the act to bag his side’s fifth with a composed finish went clean through on goal.

• Miners go in for the Kil . .

Danderhall Miners continued to impress in the Scottish Cup as they overcame Kilsyth AFC 4-2 in their fifth-round replay.

The visitors were keen to start well at Kilsyth Sports Centre but found themselves 1-0 down after 15 minutes, Michael Dempsey first to the ball in a goalmouth scramble.

That sparked Danderhall into life and they found a deserved equaliser just before the break. James Laing provided a diagonal pass into the path of Grant McMillan and he took the ball down before smashing home the equaliser.

Danderhall began to dictate proceedings after the interval and it wasn’t long before they got ahead. Scott Cairney saw his shot in the box saved and McMillan followed up with a composed finish from the edge of the area.

That settled the Midlothian side and they pushed on to grab a third and fourth soon after. Andy Dailly stuck a penalty away to make it 3-1 following a foul on Colin Lawson in the box. Then Lawson himself put the tie out of reach with a bullet header.

Late on, McMillan heading into his own goal but, by then, the game was already won for Danderhall. They now play East Kilbride YMFC in the next round.

• Strollers hit back to win

Ten-man Bank Of Scotland Strollers came from two goals down against Edinburgh South Amateurs to progress to the fourth round of the Miller Cup.

In what was a competitive first half at Broughton High School it was South that took advantage from set pieces to go 2-0 up. 20 minutes in Mark Burns nodded in from close range after the initial ball in wasn’t dealt with by Strollers. Then, as half-time approached, South grabbed another. Once more, Strollers failed to clear their lines and Burns turned the ball in to extend his side’s lead.

Strollers changed to a 4-5-1 formation at the interval and brought on Jack Leslie. The change paid dividends immediately as he latched onto a ball through the South defence and fired the ball in.

With 20 minutes to go, Leslie then set up Graeme Clement to turn the ball home before the Strollers goalscorer was dismissed for dissent.

Despite being a man down, Strollers were on top into the final ten minutes and found a dramatic injury-time winner. Paul Armstrong fired the ball home at a second attempt to seal a 3-2 win and put his side through to the next round of the competition.