Amateurs: Sandys fight back to claim Blaikie Cup

Sandys were the victors in a close contest
Sandys were the victors in a close contest
Have your say

Sandys AFC came from behind to lift the Blaikie Cup with a hard-fought 5-3 win over Heriot Vale at Ainslie Park.

Vale took the lead with seven minutes on the clock when Patty Bonthrone beat the offside trap to slot in from a ball over the top.

After both sides rattled the post as half-time neared, Sandys pulled the scores level with the final action of the first 45. Thomas Crease was in the right place at the right time to turn in Connor Spowart’s pullback.

After the interval Spowart’s side took the lead when Michael Osburne’s free-kick from range took a deflection off the Heriot rearguard to nestle in past keeper Mark Sinclair.

Sandys looked to be in cruise control when Crease then went and added a third for his side but two goals in five minutes brought Vale back into contention. Ryan D’Angelo bagged the first with a powerful finish inside the box then Alan Sheriff spun in the box to pull another goal back.

With that, the game completely opened up as both sides went for glory.

It was to be Sandys day, however, as they found two goals before the end to seal their cup final destiny.

Crease turned provider when making a break as he played in Spowart to calmly fire in one on one.

Then, as the 90-minute mark crept ever nearer, Steven Philp made sure of the coveted silverware for the boys in red and white with a tap in from close range.

• South Gyle go goal crazy

South Gyle AFC secured a playoff spot in Premier Division 2 with an emphatic 9-1 victory over promotion rivals Tynecastle at Fernieside.

After Johnnie Niven opened the scoring for the Gyle, a long throw into the box found Russell Johnston who turned the ball in for 2-0. The boys in black scored a third before half-time. Stewart Crozier put the ball on a plate for Dean Cunningham to tap in from close range.

The fourth goal and the first after the break came when Crozier played in Scott Riddell for a comfortable finish in the box.

Then, after Cunningham and Riddell both added another to make it 6-0, Andy Easton nodded in and Sean McAllister slotted home to really rub Tynie’s noses in it.

Jon Sargent pulled a consolation back for Tynecastle near the end when he scrambled home a loose ball in the box but it was soon forgotten when David Pool grabbed South Gyle’s ninth of the afternoon.

• Edinburgh Rose bloom in semi-final

Edinburgh Rose progressed to the final of the Centenary Cup with an 8-2 victory over East Linton at Haddington 3G.

Connor Ramage opened the scoring for the hosts East Linton when he cut in from the left before firing across the keeper and into the bottom corner.

Rose then registered three before the break. After Stuart Morrison turned in a loose ball in the box, Euan Bisset bagged a brace which included a sublime volley.

After the interval the visitors added two goals in two minutes. A cool finish in the area by Liam Frost was followed up by Craig Stewart who finished off a patient move for his side.

Rose didn’t let up despite their emphatic lead and, after Bisset bagged his hat-trick with a header, an own goal and a Raymond Walker finish made it 8-1 to the away side.

Into injury time and Gary Fairgrieve sent a volley into the top corner for East Linton which was a deserved second for their efforts.