Amateurs: Second-half show raises The Standard

The Standard
The Standard
Have your say

The Standard climbed to the top of Division 1 West with a 2-1 win away to Charwood AFC at Forrester High School.

The Roseburn-based side found themselves trailing at the break but fought back to take the points and leapfrog their opponents in the league table.

After a feisty opening 20 minutes, the game settled down and it was the home side who began to create chances.

The pressure soon told when Gary Walker’s corner was turned in by Standardcentre half Finn Thomson as he tried to head the ball clear.

Charwood had their tails up and could have been two up at the break when Scott Thomson sent a volley at goal from a tight angle but his effort found the side-netting. After having a goal disallowed for offside just before the break, Standard came out in the second half in determined mood and, five minutes after the restart, they’d pulled level. Orin Parkinson followed up Liam Lapping’s shot to put his team on level terms. The visitors continued to press and, with just two minutes to go, grabbed a winning goal. Sub Ross Purvis played the ball square from the right to Stuart George and the No.8 curled the ball into the top-right corner.

• Heriot-Watt A are in good Stead

Heriot-Watt A ran out 3-0 winners in their Stead & Simpson Cup tie against LBG Strollers at Riccarton.

After a 4-0 defeat away to Edinburgh Harps last weekend, the home side bounced back to give themselves a fighting chance of progressing from Section B into the semi-finals.

Bruce Hay gave the home side the lead after 25 minutes when he latched onto Martin Green’s defence-splitting pass before keeping calm to find the net.

Green and Hay then combined again to double Heriot-Watt’s lead ten minutes later, with the former whipping a corner into the area before Hay scrambled the ball in from close range. The visitors, despite their best efforts, couldn’t pull a goal back and Heriot-Watt grabbed a third to seal a hard-earned victory. After good build-up from the back, Hay received the ball on the wing before playing it into Callum Smith, who stretched to turn the ball past the goalkeeper.

• Highlanders hit back

Seaforth Highlanders came from behind to progress to the Anderson Cup semi-finals with a 3-2 win away to Craigroyston CYFC at Craigie Park.

It was the visitors who took the lead as strong winds swept across the ground. Eoin Anderson’s corner from the left-hand side deceived everyone before finding the back of the net.

On the verge of half-time, Craigroyston got back into the game with a goal from right-back Scott Lockhart as he headed in Ryan Robertson’s cross.

Ten minutes after the restart, the home side took the lead for the first time when Jordan Currie snuck in from the left to receive a through pass and fire past David Ferrier in the Seaforth goal.

Despite taking the lead, the hosts weren’t able to hold on for long as the West Edinburgh side responded within five minutes. Neil Carmichael was played in and he found the net 12 yards out to level the scores.

Both sides looked to find a winning goal and it was the visitors who took their chance when Carmichael followed up Fraser Simpson’s shot to score.