Amateurs: Sporting’s rivals call the Shotts

Sporting Icapb succumbed to a strong second-half display by Shotts Victoria
Sporting Icapb succumbed to a strong second-half display by Shotts Victoria
Have your say

Five-star Shotts Victoria crushed Edinburgh Central side Sporting Icapb with a dominant second-half showing which sent them into the third round of the Logan Cup.

The North Lanarkshire-based side were bright in the early stages but it was Icapb who were unlucky not to go ahead after ten minutes.

Luke Lewis was a threat down the right wing and his cross flashed across goal to meet Christian Waterhouse, whose shot was headed off the line by an alert Darren Smith, with Icapb protesting to referee David Courtney that it had gone over.

Shotts were starting to create openings of their own though as they held the bulk of the possession approaching the half hour mark.

A pinpoint Sammy McLean ball in behind Icapb’s defence almost set-up Gary Barr, but the ball ran ahead of the striker and Kyle Tod gathered easily.

David Paris then had a chance to put Shotts in front after the ball broke to him from a corner but the No. 8’s shot went the wrong side of the post – however, Kristopher Russell gave the away side the lead before half-time moments later.

Barr found fellow striker Russell unmarked at the back post and he headed the ballpast Tod.

Shotts might have been left to rue a first half littered with missed chances, but a complete change of fortune in front of goal after the interval reaped rewards – that was only after Paris missed from the penalty spot to put Shotts two in front.

Referee Coutney adjudged an Icapb defender to have handled inside the area but Paris’ weak attempt from 12-yards was easily gathered by Tod.

Shotts got a huge slice of luck with their killer second goal, which came after 65 minutes.

Centre-midfielder Jamie Hallford’s shot from 30-yards took a wicked deflection off the head of Owen Black, deceiving Tod, and going into the net. Craig Campbell put his side three ahead with a clinical strike from the edge of the box. After good work down the right, from the edge of the box Campbell fired into the top corner with Tod unable to get anywhere near the shot.

Icapb’s first decent chance in the second half could have brought them back into the tie, with just ten minutes of the match remaining – but an outstretched Waterhouse couldn’t connect from three yards out.

Two goals from substitute Johnathon Lynch in the final five minutes put the icing on the cake for Shotts and set up a third-round home tie against Edinburgh East side Clermiston Star.

Lynch slid in at the back post to convert fellow substitute Andy Chalmers’ low cross, before excellent play from Chalmers helped Lynch get his brace.

The midfielder nutmegged Lewis as he ran into the box, delivering a cross into the area which was cleared, but Lynch found the net from the resulting corner to complete the 5-0 scoreline.

Sporting Icapb: Kyle Todd, Jose Gonzalez, Edward Hulme, Owen Black, James Farry, Luke Lewis, Manuel Breuer, Anthony Black, Matthew Lyst, Christian Waterhouse, Matthew Young, Jack Hearn, Eneko Salvatierra, Jason Seymour, Craig Potter, Clement Cujus.

Shotts Victoria: Brian North, Sammy McLean, Darren Smith, Scott Barr, Jamie Hallford, Craig Campbell, Scott Barr, David Paris, Gary Barr, Frazer Kirkland, Kristopher Russell, Francis McKeown, Andy Chalmers, Gareth Beveridge, Johnathon Lynch, Martin Bucknell.