Amateurs: Stables make hay with goals rush

Stables FC
Stables FC
Have your say

Stables stormed into second place in LEAFA’s Sunday Morning league with a merciless attacking performance as they inflicted a 9-3 defeat on Gotham City.

The league clash was as good as over by half-time as in-form Stables roared into a 6-1 first-half lead with striker Ryan Kecheran proving to be more than a handful for Gotham’s defence.

Kecheran scored two goals and set up one in the opening half-hour, by which time his side were already five goals ahead without reply.

However, Gotham were first to threaten five minutes in when David Cherrie’s half-volley forced a save from Stables goalkeeper Gavin Barclay.

But Stables got the ball rolling just minutes later. After capitalising on a mix-up between Gotham goalkeeper Mark Scott and a defender, Kecheran pounced on the loose ball before playing in Chris Comber who slid the ball into the empty net.

The away side then doubled their advantage on 12 minutes from the penalty spot. Robert Letham was brought down by Craig Wainwright and Andrew Brown sent Scott the wrong way.

Stables were hungry for more and Kecheran scored the first of his first-half double with a header into the net after a well-worked cross from the left.

Inside 20 minutes, a rampant Stables went four ahead when attacking midfielder Brown worked his way into the box before his side-foot finish got the better of Scott.

Helpless Gotham ’keeper Scott had barely put his hands on the ball, other than picking it out of the back of his net, when he was beaten again as Stables claimed their fifth of the match on the half-hour mark.

Kecheran’s brother Craig turned defence into attack after a Gotham attacker was ruled offside. His looping free kick from deep inside Stables’ half landed at the feet of sibling Ryan who let rip with a volley into the corner of the net.

Gotham pulled a goal back three minutes later through Cherrie when the midfielder found space on the edge of the box and firied past Barclay, but just before half-time Stables restored their five-goal lead.

Scott was having a torrid time in goal for Gotham and his luckless afternoon was made worse when, after making a point-blank stop, the ball ricocheted off one of his defenders and into the net.

Stables were on the front foot again in the second half with Brown pulling the strings in midfield for the away side and they scored their seventh on 63 minutes in fortuitous circumstances.

Substitute Craig Stachini seized on a loose ball before rolling it into the empty net after Scott and a Gotham defender collided in the area. Then Brown made it 8-1 from Stachini’s cutback.

Gotham rallied in vain as they attempted to reduce the deficit and Andrew Kelloe was unlucky with his 25-yard drive which looked to be sneaking in under the crossbar until Barclay got a hand on it to tip it over, before team-mate Alasdair Houston cracked a shot which struck the crossbar from inside the box.

Ryan Kecheran grabbed his third of the match with a simple finish ten minutes from time, only for a Kevin Fitz double to reduce the deficit to six as the clock ticked down. But it was too little too late for Gotham.

Gotham City: Mark Scott, Craig Wainwright, Nigel Green, David Lewis, Douglas Mackenzie, Gordon McKenzie, Andrew Kelloe, Alasdair Houston, David Cherrie, Jack Crooks, Kevin Fitz, John Moore, Kenny Millar, Jamie Macdonald.

Stables: Gavin Barclay, Craig Kecheran, Rory O’Connaire, Chris Comber, Andrew Platt, Ross Gibson, David Barclay, Andrew Brown, Arran Campbell, Robert Letham, Ryan Kecheran, Neil McGlade, Craig Stachini, Callum Robertson, George Letham.