Amateurs: Tollcross taken to Scottish Cup replay

Have your say

TOLLCROSS THISTLE coach Alan McKay remains hopeful his side will progress to the last 16 of the Scottish Cup after they conceded late on in a 1-1 draw with East Kilbride AFC at Saughton.

After Michael Yuill put the hosts ahead, the visitors fought back in the second half with Stuart McMillan grabbing an equaliser to force a replay.

Asked about his side’s prospects of making the next round, McKay said: “Of course, we always believe we can win any game. We played okay in the first half but second half we didn’t dominate the way we wanted. It was a fair result based on both teams’ chances.”

Tollcross started strongly and almost got off to the perfect start. Gary White latched onto a long throw before spinning and firing an effort which was saved by Graeme McMillan in the visitors’ goal.

Minutes later, Yuill struck a left-foot strike into the bottom corner to give Tollcross a deserved lead. The home side continued to attack but couldn’t grab a second goal to give them some breathing space. Tollcross’ Adam Perry was controversially dismissed for violent conduct before East Kilbride found an equaliser. John Nisbet made a good stop from David Hepburn’s shot, but McMillan followed up to score.

It’s Craigshill for thrills

Craigshill Thistle made the last 16 of the Scottish Cup with a comfortable 2-0 win away to Galston United at Loudoun Leisure Centre.

Craigshill – along with Tollcross one of only two LEAFA sides left in the competition – wasted no time in putting pressure on their opponents.

After 15 minutes, they were 1-0 up when David Swan bundled in from five yards after Joe Mcnee’s cross from the left.

By half-time, it could have been three or four for the away side but Galston hung on in there to keep the game alive. After the break, Swan gave Craigshill a great chance to seal the win with ten minutes to go when he was fouled in the area and a penalty was awarded.

George McGregor stepped up and sent the Galston goalkeeper the wrong way but the ball rattled the base of the post.

Five minutes later, another penalty was given with Robert McGregor taking responsibility for it.

He stepped up confidently and sent the keeper the wrong way to score.

Vale hit back to secure win

Hermiston Vale ran out 3-1 winners against Edinburgh United Alba in the fourth round of the Logan Cup at Sighthill.

Alba took the lead against the run of play on the half-hour with a sublime goal, Craig Edgar delicately chipping the ball over the head of goalkeeper Robert Large from outside the area. Vale didn’t panic and continued to put pressure on their opponents. It paid off on the stroke of half-time when, after Gary Dalgleish palmed away Paul Suddaby’s strike, Grant Smith half-volleyed in the rebound from the edge of the box.

The hosts looked to get forward again after the interval and ex-Alba player Bobby Nwanze gave them the lead when he converted Suddaby’s ball from the right-hand side.

With time ticking away, Vale wrapped things up when Ross Elliot dribbled through a series of challenges before finding the net from just outside the area.