Amateurs: Tollcross Thistle go forth in Logan Cup

Tollcross Thistle won their Logan Cup fifth-round clash against Seaforth Highlanders at Forrester High School
Tollcross Thistle won their Logan Cup fifth-round clash against Seaforth Highlanders at Forrester High School
Have your say

TOLLCROSS THISTLE twice came from behind to win 6-2 against Seaforth Highlanders in the Logan Cup fourth round at Forrester High School.

Cameron Hook gave Seaforth a deserved lead 15 minutes into the encounter before Tollcross made it 1-1 on the half-hour mark, Adam Perry teeing up Kyle Hay, who steered the ball in with a low shot from the edge of the area. The hosts came out strongly again at the start of the second, taking the lead once more and in spectacular style. Eoin Anderson saw Tollcross goalie John Nisbet off his line and he chipped the ball over his head and under the bar from 25 yards to make it 2-1.

That sprung the visitors into life and, after Perry smashed one in from close range, Tollcross turned on the style to score four in the last half hour.

Jack Norman gave the away side the lead when he received the pass from Greig Hogarth before finding the net from inside the area. Then, after Michael Yuill latched onto Hay’s pass to spin and make it 4-2, Martin McCann gave Tollcross breathing space when he stepped up to score a penalty. Sean Mossman then got in on the act late on to round off the win.


GRANT McMILLAN bagged himself a hat-trick as Danderhall Miners fought back to defeat North Merchiston Vale 3-2 at Harrison Park in Premier Division 2.

The striker grabbed the opening goal of the encounter when the referee awarded a penalty for handball 20 minutes in. McMillan kept calm to convert the spot-kick with a powerful strike straight down the middle.

Merchiston came out strongly into the second 45, however, and managed two quick goals to go in front.

Marc Ritchie reacted quickest to a rebound to make it 1-1 before David Knox met a corner at the back post to turn the game completely on its head.

With 20 minutes to go Danderhall pushed forward in search of an equaliser and won a free-kick 30 yards from goal. It was floated into the box and McMillan leapt to head the ball home.

In similar circumstances, the forward got the winning goal. A free-kick into the area was nodded on by Stuart Reid and McMillan tucked the ball in for his 18th goal of the season.


St BERNARDS progressed to the fifth round of the Centenary Cup with a hard-fought 3-1 win over Sandys AFC at the Royal High School.

The hosts started well and, by the 20th minute, their pressure had paid off when Brad Hainey went on a mazy run from midfield unchallenged before drilling the ball into the bottom corner.

Sandys pulled the scores level from a set-piece.

A corner into the box wasn’t dealt with by the Saints rearguard and Thomas Crease reacted first to score.

After the break, both sides worked hard searching for a winner but it was St Bernards’ persistence which paid off in the end when Steven Wilson headed in from a tight angle to make it 2-1.

With ten minutes to go, Saints sealed the victory with a deserved third when Ryan Pollock placed an effort from the edge of the box into the back of the net.