Amateurs: Victoria Locos forced into cup replay

Victoria Loco
Victoria Loco
Have your say

Victoria Loco captain Kevin Dunn remained confident his side could progress to the third round of the Scottish Amateur Cup despite conceding late on to draw 4-4 with Symington Tinto.

Despite being in front on three occasions, the hosts were unable to hold on and now face a replay away to the South Lanarkshire side this weekend.

“It wasn’t the worst performance from us but we’ve given away a few silly goals. I think they were lucky to draw,” said the 28-year-old after the match at Saughton Enclosure.

“Their keeper was tremendous and he made about five or six quality saves. He was unbelievable.

“If we could play with just a bit more tempo and make sure we put our chances away then of course I think we could beat them.”

After some heavy overnight showers, the game went ahead and Victoria made a perfect start with a goal in the second minute.

A long ball forward by the defence wasn’t cleared by the Symington defence. Craig Finnie was alert to it and robbed Murray Hamilton of the ball before smashing a shot in from just inside the box.

The hosts didn’t sit back and were soon 2-0 up. A corner was whipped into the back post and after it ricocheted around the box it fell to Danny Glancy who fired it in from five yards.

Symington had looked lacklustre early on but by the 18th minute they had livened up and started to look threatening. They pulled a goal back when Christopher Owen’s left-footed strike sneaked under the wall and into the bottom corner from distance.

Finnie had a great chance to restore Victoria’s two-goal cushion five minutes later. On the edge of the opposition box, he received the ball with his back to goal, turned his man and shot narrowly over the bar.

It was an end-to-end cup tie and 15 minutes before the break the visitors managed to grab another to make it 2-2. Hamilton made up for his earlier mistake when he was on hand to steer in the ball from just inside the box. Two good quick-fire saves by Mark Sinton denied first Finnie then Shaun Dunn as he got down well to keep Symington on par at the start of the second half.

However, he could do little shortly afterwards to stop Victoria going 3-2 ahead. A floated ball forward by Glancy from the halfway line was met by Christopher Keir who placed a delicate chip over Sinton’s head and into the goal.

Again, though, Symington showed spirit to fight back and in the 75th minute they levelled things again.

A through ball was chased down by Christopher Owen who collided with Victoria goalkeeper John Scott in a race to meet it. The ball was loose and Owen got up quickest to stick it into the empty net.

Victoria were wondering what they had to do to win and they must have thought substitute Daniel Waddell had answered their prayers when he came on to score with ten minutes to go. Dunn’s cross found Waddell unmarked seven yards out and he found the net much to the jubilation of his team-mates.

Incredibly, that was not to be the final twist in this match and with minutes to go the hosts couldn’t quite see the game out. A first-time strike by Owen 20 yards out curled into the top corner.

The final whistle was blown with the score at 4-4. Now both sides must do it all over again in their replay this weekend.

Victoria Loco: Derek Brown, Harry Connor, Scott Davidson, Kevin Dunn, Robert Dunn, Shaun Dunn, Bryan Ferry, Craig Finnie, Danny Glancy, Christopher Keir, Callum Saffery, John Scott, Raymond Singleton, Craig Spalding, Daniel Waddell, Gary Waddell.

Symington Tinto: Craig Birkett, Kristopher Cheney, Billy Coulter, Ross Coulter, Jordan Duff, Barry Dunsmuir, Murray Hamilton, Jonathan Hart, Ryan Hutchison, Ben McLellan, Christopher Owen, Jordan Pirrie, Mark Sinton, David Steele, Martin Sweeten.