Amateurs: Victoria Park Rangers power to the top

Victoria Park Rangers
Victoria Park Rangers
Have your say

VICTORIA PARK RANGERS climbed to the top of Sunday Division 1 as they ended Meadowbank’s unbeaten league record with a 3-2 victory at Saughton.

Meadowbank went ahead in the seventh minute thanks to Jordan Davidson’s header from a corner.

But their lead didn’t last long. Rangers found a way back into the game on the half-hour mark when Duncan Peat slipped in Nick Browning to fire in before Chris Wilson hit a 25-yard strike into the top-left corner to make it 2-1.

Meadowbank found an equaliser after the break when Paul Martin made no mistake from a penalty. With ten minutes to go, substitute Michael Tait grabbed the winner for Rangers as he latched onto Keith Harper’s ball over the top before scoring from close range.

Meadowbank had chances to find a leveller, the best of which fell to Davidson but he saw his effort cleared off the line by Peter Healy. In the closing seconds, Davidson and Martin were both foiled by Rangers keeper Calum McDougall as they held on for a precious three points.


DANDERHALL MINERS continue to lead the way at the top of the Championship after beating Uphall Station 3-1 at Danderhall Recreation Park.

The home side started strongly and got their noses in front on six minutes, Grant McMillan cutting inside his marker on the edge of the box before striking the ball high into the Uphall goal. Minutes later, it was two as McMillan turned provider for Darren Anderson to score from close range.

After the interval, and with the rain teeming down, Danderhall found a third. McMillan played his part once again as he crossed the ball from the left to Danny Taylor, who headed in from six yards. To their credit, Station didn’t give up and scored a deserved consolation with ten minutes to go as Joe Hutchinson guided the ball in from just inside the box.


Fernieside advanced to the East of Scotland Cup fourth round with a 4-3 penalty shoot-out victory over Edinburgh Harps after an incredible 5-5 draw at Meggetland. Fernieside were 2-0 up at the break. Nicky Perry’s free-kick opened the scoring before Chris Gordon followed up to net a rebound. Harps pulled a deserved goal back after the break when Alexander Murray found the net via the post, but Fernieside grabbed another through Gordon again to make it 3-1.

Harps’ heads never dropped, though, and they found two late goals through Murray to make it 3-3 and force extra time.

Fernieside went back ahead when Gordon completed his hat-trick, only to be dismissed for a second yellow card minutes later. With their opponents down to ten men, Harps took advantage and turned the game on its head when Murray scored his fourth and John McClarey scrambled the ball in from close range for 5-4.

Fernieside’s Ally Anderson then had to come off injured with all of his side’s subs used. And the nine men amazingly sent the game to penalties when Perry rattled in a 25-yard free-kick in the final minute to make it 5-5.

In the shoot-out, Fernieside keeper Scott Walker saved two penalties to give his side the upperhand before Jamie Pont put away the winner.