Amateurs: West End put on a show in Sunday Morning league

West End United boss Lee Watson praised his players for their professional approach
West End United boss Lee Watson praised his players for their professional approach
Have your say

Sunday Morning Division 1 leaders West End United maintained their 100 per cent league record as they beat Burgh Vale 7-0 at Gyle Park.

It was their eighth league win in the trot against a Burgh Vale side who had endured a mixed start to the new season.

The league leaders didn’t waste time getting going in the game, putting pressure on Burgh from the start. It soon paid off as with seven minutes gone they grabbed the lead. With Burgh bodies upfield, West End quickly charged forward and caught their opponents off guard. James Spence had the option to shoot one-on-one with keeper Chris Mair but he unselfishly squared the ball for Gary Craig to hammer home from ten yards.

It was the perfect start for West End and they didn’t rest in their laurels as a fairly straightforward clearance wasn’t made by Burgh’s Silvian Grosu and Spence ran through on goal to find the back of the net for 2-0.

Burgh were really struggling to deal with the attacking force of West End and they were fortunate not to be three down with 25 minutes played. Sean Mcallister hit a first-time strike in the box over the opposition bar when he really should have scored.

It wasn’t to matter though as his team-mates made up for the miss five minutes later. David Robertson’s pinpoint strike from outside the box hit the right-hand post and Craig followed up the rebound with an instinctive header from three yards.

After a chance to regroup at the break, Burgh looked to increase their efforts in both defence and attack but, early on in the second half, they conceded again with West End rampant. A ball in from the right found Craig in space to head in at the back post for his hat-trick and West End’s fourth of the game.

The scoring didn’t stop there though and with half an hour still to go, West End further increased their tally. David Caesar’s low ball in from the left picked out centre-half Kevin Dunn in the middle and he made no mistake from close range for 5-0. West End continued to go on search of goals and they came close with Spence and Gordon McCreadie denied by Mair in the Burgh goal.

With 15 minutes left, there was little Mair could do to stop his side conceding again. Mcallister’s eyes lit up with time and space to shoot from distance and he took full advantage to smash the ball into the top right corner for the sixth.

Spence then hit the right-hand post after shotting from the edge of the box and Robertson fired in the rebound.

It was game, set and match for West End and manager Lee Watson was overjoyed.

“I’m delighted with the squad this season, we have a big squad so it’s hard to keep everyone happy but their effort and application in both training and games is outstanding which reflects well on the league, hence why we have won every game so far. The boys did what was required of them and played some really good stuff in spells. We took our foot of the gas at times but to still win 7-0 shows what level our team is at just now.

“Now we just need to keep picking up the points, taking it on a week to week basis and let the other teams chase us,” he said.

Burgh Vale: Mark Baillie, Graeme Dudgeon, Kevin Fitz, Kieran Goulden, Chris Mair, Nick Mapplebeck, Andrew McDowall, Douglas Murray, Fernando Sommacal, Walter Loughrey, David Dickson, Edward Houldrige, Silvian Grosu.

West End United: Dean Anderson, Kenny Burns, David Caesar, Gary Craig, Kevin Dunn, Paul Lindsay, Johnny Mackenzie, Sean Mcallister, Scott McCluskey, Gordon McCreadie, David Penrice, David Robertson, James Spence, Scott Sutherland, Stephen Syme, Keith Ward.