Bo’ness respond to half-time goal reminder

Allan McGonigal. Pic: Michael Gillen
Allan McGonigal. Pic: Michael Gillen
Have your say

Alan McGonigal was thrilled with a blistering second-half performance that blew away Musselburgh.

Goals by Stuart Devine, Colin Leiper and Mark Cowan killed off the visitors, who finished with nine men after Lewis Turner and keeper Ally Adams received their marching orders.

Manager McGonigal was delighted with the second-half performance, saying: “I said at half-time ‘goals change games’ and we scored early on to give us a lift. They then had to come out and gaps started to appear and we grabbed them. In the end, I think three goals flattered them. It could easily have been a lot more.”

The game kicked off with a strong wind blowing down the park in what was Bo’ness captain Will Snowdon’s 250th game for the club.

The game was crying out for a goal after the first period and the home supporters didn’t have long to wait long for one to arrive. Two minutes into the half, the hosts were awarded a free-kick just outside the corner of the box on the right. Devine stepped up and curled a cross deep to the back post which missed everyone and landed in the back of the net.

On the hour, Bo’ness doubled their lead. A corner from Devine on the right was met at the back post by Leiper, who headed home for his second goal in seven days. A couple of minutes later, the game was killed dead when Cowan was played in by Scott Pittman. He still had a lot to do but outmuscled the Musselburgh defence before sliding home a low drive.

Turner was sent off for a second booking midway through the second period while Adams got red for downing Pittman outside the penalty box.

Bo’ness United: Wallace, Snowdon, Leiper, Murphy, Hunter, Devine, Walker, Philp, Cowan, Pittman, Donnelly. Subs: Anderson, Gribben, Scott, Sloan, Brown.

Musselburgh: Adams, Christie, Martin, Myles, Hamilton, Ralton, Payne, Moffat, McDonald, Thomson, Turner. Subs: Russell, Munro, Hunter, Wilson.