Bonnyrigg close in on Super League

Have your say

BONNYRIGG ROSE took a huge step towards the Super League title last night with a 2-0 home win over Bo’ness – a result which kills off any chance the visitors had of winning the championship for a third time in a row.

Bo’ness finished the game with eight men as Ian Nimmo, Will Snowdon and Steven Reilly all received their marching orders.

The game was won in the first half when Bonnyrigg scored both their goals.

The first came after 17 minutes when striker Paul Shields chased a high ball into the box, won the race with the keeper and forced the ball over the line.

The second was a typical Sean Grady effort. Shields turned provider this time, slipping a through ball to Grady, who showed great composure to slide the ball past the onrushing keeper.

Bonnyrigg manager Max Christie was delighted with the result, saying: “Defensively, we were superb. We are good at hitting teams on the break and that’s how it worked out.

“It’s been a good week for us so far but there’s still a lot to do, but overall it’s a great result for us. This Saturday’s game at home to Hill Of Beath will be another huge game. They are a very good footballing side and we will need to be at our best again.

“At this time of the season, every game is huge, though, if you’re chasing silverware because we face Bo’ness again next week in the Fife and Lothians Cup.”

A disappointed Bo’ness boss Paul Ronald said: “Gutted would be a good description of just how bad the players and myself feel.

“We had by far the bulk of the play yet still lost the game. We gave away two bad goals and paid the penalty.

“That’s the Super league title out of the way now so we have to concentrate on the Fife and Lothians Cup next week.”

In the South Division last night, it was Tranent who were the big losers in the promotion stakes with a 2-1 defeat at home to Haddington, who still have a chance of taking the title.

Livingston too kept their title hopes alive with a 2-1 win at home to Spartans. Whitburn, who are coming in with a late flourish to finish high up the table, beat Harthill 3-2.

In the only other game played last night, Stoneyburn beat West Calder 3-2.