Boss Smith hopes cup success will lift Heriot-Watt

Jamie Lauder opened the scoring for Leith Athletic
Jamie Lauder opened the scoring for Leith Athletic
Have your say

Heriot-Watt University boss Chris Smith is banking on his side’s cup progress to help kick-start their season.

Watt overcame familiar foes Craigroyston 2-1 at Riccarton to advance to the King Cup second round, reversing recent fortunes against their rivals after losing 5-1 and 3-0 to them in recent weeks.

Victory against the odds, which was achieved through Hogni Helguson’s 93rd minute winner, sealed a second-round place for Watt and could, says boss Smith, help lift them for their cup challenges and bid to climb from the foot of the Central Taxis Premier Division table.

Smith said: “The game was very evenly contested, although I thought we showed a real desire to keep driving forward as the game neared its end.

“I’m delighted to get the win, and hopefully this can kick-start the second half of the season for us.”

Chris Donnelly opened the scoring for Watt and Lofti Barbirou levelled for Craigie before Helguson’s decisive intervention. Craigie assistant manager Gary Sutherland said: “It was disappointing that we didn’t take our chances and gave away two cheap goals. In the second half, we never got our passing game going and there was no real tempo.”

Meanwhile, Leith Athletic claimed a 3-1 victory at Tynecastle to claim a place in the semi-final of the Image Printers East of Scotland Qualifying Cup.

Leith’s Jamie Lauder opened the scoring at Fernieside only for Ousman See to equalise for Tynie. Goals by Christopher Barrie and Jack Combe stretched the visitors’ tally to hand them a last-four spot.

“We did not adapt to the conditions,” admitted Tynecastle secretary Alistair Wilkie. “In saying that, Leith were the better side.”

Ormiston concluded their Qualifying League Section B campaign with defeat at home to Stirling University, who still trail group leaders Edinburgh University by two points.

Ormi boss Murray Cheyne said: “We played far better as a team today. Credit to both teams for playing football in some horrendous weather conditions and on a pitch that was steadily deteriorating as the game went on.”Edinburgh Uni remain on track to attain automatic qualification for the League Cup after winning 4-2 at Duns, where Tim Rawlinson, Jack Guthrie, Calum Murray, and Aaron Hodgson all netted for the visitors.

Uni boss Dorian Ogunro said: “It was a decent performance in very windy conditions. The weather evened things out in the first half, but in the second half we were better and took some of our many chances.”

Hibs’ youngsters head Section C – level on points with Craigroyston but with a game more played than their rivals – after a 4-0 win over Burntisland Shipyard at East Mains, with Jamie Beaton, Taylor Hendry, Scott Martin and a Ryan Baptie penalty accounting for the goals.