Cavalry’s charge sees Kilsyth suffer first defeat of the season

Cavalry Park Under-14s
Cavalry Park Under-14s
Have your say

Cavalry Park are through to the quarter-finals of the under-14 Scottish Youth Cup after a 4-0 victory over west counterparts Kilsyth Athletic at Broughton High School.

Andrew Taylor scored twice as Cavalry Park went through against a Cumbernauld and Kilsyth District League outfit who had remained unbeaten for the season prior to their match in the Capital.

Cavalry started the match strongly but did not score until the closing stages of the first half and then quickly doubled their lead. Ben Stirling’s corner deflected off the bar and Sean Gilroy headed the ball into the net from close range.

With seconds to go before the break Robbie Conway took the ball round Kilsyth keeper Jamie Millar and smashed it into the net from a tight angle for 2-0.

Cavalry Park continued where they had left off in the second half and Stirling’s one-on-one chance was well saved by Millar. The Kilsyth goalkeeper then repelled Conway’s bicycle kick in the 40th minute but, five minutes later, Cavalry Park increased their lead to three, when Adam Watson dribbled into the area from the right by-line and played the ball back to Taylor who had a simple finish into an open goal.

Millar was called into action once again in the 52nd minute, tipping Stirling’s shot onto the cross bar.

An altercation between jackson Mack and Conway slightly soured the match after 60 minutes. Both players were booked for unsportsmanlike behaviour and, unfortunately for Kilsyth, Mack had been booked five minutes earlier and so duly sent for an early bath.

Cavalry Park scored their final goal three minutes later. Taylor headed into the top left corner of the net and referee Thomson awarded the goal, despite claims from the Kilsyth management that the ball was cleared off the line.

Kilsyth almost grabbed a consolation goal in the closing stages. After a high quality passing move, Mitchell Cullen’s shot from 18 yards went narrowly wide of the left post.

Cavalry Park manager Matthew Eastwood was very pleased with his team’s performance, saying: “I thought we played very well in very difficult conditions and we kept our discipline when it was perhaps going the other way. We played passing football which is the way that Cavalry Park plays.

“We have to take one game at a time in this competition. We are a decent footballing side and we can definitely go far. We are now in a position to deliver.”

Kilsyth coach Francis Millar conceded that Cavalry Park deserved their victory: “We deserved to lose,” he said. I think 4-0 flattered them but the better team won. We have won 13 and drawn one match in the Cumbernauld and Kilsyth District League and this is our first defeat of the season.”

However, it may have been different had the visitors taken their first chance when offered in the 18th minute, when a long ball was flicked on by Declan Valentine to Liam Griffin whose shot from 14 yards was saved by the low dive of Cavalry Park goalkeeper Kerr Robertson.

Two minutes later, Kilsyth’s Lewis Cairney shot narrowly wide of the goal from seven yards out, after Ross Turpie’s corner.

The referee was centre of attention in the 30th minute as he turned down Kilsyth’s penalty appeal, after Valentine fell from the challenge of Stirling.

Cavalry Park: Kerr Robertson, Ben Stirling, Aidan Holligan, Sam Nicol, Adam Watson, Robbie Conway, Roan Turkington, Sean Gilroy, Jack Kidney, Alexander Simpson, Cai Smith, Kobi May, Andrew Taylor.

Kilsyth Athletic: Jamie Millar, Mitchell Cullen, Ryan Brodie, Jackson Mack, Ross Turpie, Lewis Cairney, Declan Valentine, Martin McDermott, Liam Griffin, Colin Kilgour, Jack Govan, Daniel Burns, Euan Millar, Cameron Ferguson.