City Real hit back at end of storm to hold Oxgangs

Oxgangs 13s
Oxgangs 13s
Share this article
Have your say

AC Oxgangs were undone in the final moments of their Under-13s Division 2 clash with Edinburgh City Real in horrendous weather conditions as they drew 2-2.

The heavy rain coupled with rampaging wind made it very difficult for both sets of players to play, with the side playing into the wind seeing the ball come back at them in the air. Many would have downed tools in such extreme Sunday morning weather but credit goes to both teams for playing on regardless.

Edinburgh City had the wind at their backs in the first half and Ryan Jones forced Arran Paterson into an early save to his right with a low shot.

Due to the conditions there wasn’t much goal action until the hosts got themselves in front shortly before half-time. City’s Jones was found in the box from a corner and lifted the ball over a defender, the forward waiting for a bounce on the ground before looping the ball over the goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

However, Oxgangs adapted quicker to having the wind on their side in the second period and four minutes in they levelled proceedings. A corner was whipped in from the left and after a shot was blocked, the ball was set up for Jack O’Connor who curled a delightful ball into the net to make it 1-1.

Oxgangs then took the lead midway through the half, pacey winger Fraser Blackie grabbing a deserved goal. He picked the ball up from around 30 yards, and went on a mazy run before unleashing an unstoppable drive, with the goalkeeper having no chance of saving it.

With the wind and rain increasing towards the end, City were desperate to get something from the game and their pressure paid off when Ben Mac-Leod was found at the back post for a simple close-range finish to ensure the sides earned a point each.

Rose secure final berth

Bonnyrigg ROSE 19s will compete in the David Murray Cup Final after they defeated Edinburgh South 19s 3-1 in the last-four clash on Saturday.

Bonnyrigg came through the quarter-finals against Musselburgh Windsor Colts with the same scoreline and will be delighted to reach the final of the competition.

Thomas Thomson gave them the lead in the ninth minute after Ryan Henderson saw his shot blocked.

Midfielder Ross Harris got the visitors back on level terms after 40 minutes, a 25-yard beauty nestling into the top corner for Edinburgh South.

Bonnyrigg’s Dean Whitson then gave the home side the lead once again, heading in well from a 56th minute corner kick.

Henderson was involved in the home side’s third goal, making the goalkeeper parry another shot from the left, this time the ball falling perfectly at the back post for Dylan Clark who tapped home.

Bonnyrigg Rose’s Phil Burton said: “We were delighted with the win. It was a good performance against stuffy opponents.”

Bonnyrigg will face either Musselburgh Windsor, Musselburgh Windsor 96, Leith Athletic or North Merchiston BC in the final.

Murrell sets up Reds win

Aaron MURRELL’S brace set Spartans Reds on their way to a 4-1 victory over Edina Hibs in the U17 Division 1 at Ainslie Park.

Despite their lower standing in the Division 1 table, Spartans never gave Edina a sniff until the game was sealed.

A pass inside an Edina defender from Adam Corbett allowed Murrell to control the ball before bending it round the goalkeeper into the bottom corner. And he got his second soon after when a strong penalty claim was ignored by the referee, Josh King picking up the ball and crossing for Murrell to finish an easy tap-in for 2-0.

Spartans continued their dominance of the league fixture with a third goal. A corner was played short to Scott Easton who dribbled past one defender before shooting at goal – his effort taking a deflection and looping over the goalkeeper and into the net.

The three points were sealed when Conor Bathgate scored having first been denied by a save and then finishing off the rebound. An 18-yard goal from Edina’s Kyle Melrose on 68 minutes was nothing but a consolation goal, which took a deflection and sailed over the goalie’s head for 4-1.