Clinical Cavalry go the extra distance

Cavalry Park won the SERYFA under 19s David Murray Cup
Cavalry Park won the SERYFA under 19s David Murray Cup
Have your say

Cavalry Park claimed the SERYFA Under-19s David Murray Cup with a 3-2 extra-time victory over Hillfield Swifts at Ainslie Park.

With the match finishing 1-1 at the end of regulation time, a flurry of goals in extra time went in Cavalry Park’s favour as the Duddingston-based team won their third trophy in the space of seven days, having previously won the South East Region Cup and the Cruden Bowl. Cavalry Park created an opportunity in the 14th minute. Kris McLoughlin chipped a pass towards Chris Joyce, but his header was caught by Hillfield goalkeeper Kyle Marley.

Cavalry’s Fraser Andrews then saw a cross-cum-shot rebound off the bar before teammate Dale O’Hara’s free kick was tipped over by Marley. Stewart Adams shot from long range went wide of Marley’s left upright in first-half stoppage time. In the 65th minute, Hillfield’s Jamie Forrester played the ball towards Murray Fraser whose shot was turned round the post by Cavalry Park goalkeeper Andrew Mackay.

Cavalry looked to have netted the winning goal with 14 minutes remaining when Fraser McKinlay shot home from 12 yards after being set up by Liam Tomassi. However, in the fourth minute of stoppage time, Hillfield forced extra time when Calum Whisker fired an Alasdair Brown cross high into the net. An eventful extra-time period began with Cavalry’s Christopher Barron hitting the crossbar from 20 yards. Six minutes later, Fraser hit the post for Hillfield after Forrester’s through ball. Cavalry took the lead just before the break as Barron hammered the ball into the net from close range. However, Hillfield levelled matters again in the 110th minute as Dylan Wilkinson shot into the top left corner from 20 yards.

With the match looking like heading to penalties, Cavalry grabbed a winner in the 116th minute. Tomassi’s lame shot deceived Marley and, in an attempt to clear the ball, Ross Stewart diverted it into his own net.

Hillfield Swifts coach Jim Wilkinson felt his team had enough chances to win the game. He said: “We are a bit disappointed. We did not get the rub of the green in some of the crucial points in the game. We had an opportunity to finish it before extra time and another opportunity in extra time. In the end, it was fitness and injuries that cost us. We’ve had a good season and finished as semi-finalists or finalists in almost all the cup competitions. We have done well in the league too. We’ve won a final each against each other now and are looking forward to the next one [in the Royal Edinburgh Cup final].”

Cavalry Park coach Kevin Douglas was delighted with his team’s season. He said: “It was a very tight match and we always knew it would be. Hillfield have been impressive this season. Most of their players will still be at 19s next season – they will have a good season next season. We play them again in two days’ time and look forward to that. In the end, the better team won.

“We created the most chances. I was not expecting a one sided game either way. Any team that wins three trophies in a week have to be congratulated – all the players have been fantastic.”

Hillfield Swifts: Kyle Marley, Euan Munro, Liam McCulloch, Corin Anderson, Murray Fraser, Calum Whisker, Dylan Wilkinson, Ross Stewart, Jamie Forrester, Wesley Lockwood, Sean McGrowther, Alasdair Brown, Stuart Condie, Ryan Smith, Dale Mason.

Cavalry Park: Andrew Mackay, Chris Joyce, Dale O’Hara, Greg Douglas, Christopher Barron, Stewart Adams, Jack McIntosh, Kris McLoughlin, Steven MacGregor, Johnny Malcolm, Fraser Andrews, Lyle Finney, Fraser McKinlay, Steven Handran, Tyrone Jimenez, Liam Tomassi.