Coldstream 1-2 Craigroyston: Addison saves the day

Share this article
Have your say

A GAME of three penalties 
ended with Craigroyston 
moving into the first round proper of the East Of Scotland League Cup.

Coldstream started well and their best chance saw a Simpson shot land at the feet of Coyle but his shot hit the outside of the post. They were given a glorious opportunity to open the scoring when awarded a penalty but Martyn Tait’s effort was poor and Addison saved easily.

However, Coldstream wasted no time in opening the scoring after half-time when a Kieran Ainslie free-kick was headed on by Coyle into the path of Tait to volley past Addison.

Craigroyston had a chance to equalise when Moncur got behind the home defence but, although he beat Mason, a defender blocked his effort. Coldstream failed to clear, however, and Paul Greenhill found Bryan Wilson inside the home area whose low cross was turned in by substitute Errol Douglas. The visitors then almost took the lead when Douglas set up Moncur but he shot wide.

Coldstream did have the ball in the net when John Crawford headed in a Baxendale free-kick but the referee had already blown for offside. Craigroyston then struck the crossbar when Mason did well to touch a Douglas shot onto the woodwork although Moncur should have scored from the rebound but his effort was saved.

What proved to be the winning goal came five minutes from time when Moncur was fouled in the penalty area. Douglas sent Mason the wrong way from the resultant spot-kick but there was still time for yet another penalty when Simpson was fouled in the Craigroyston box. Addison, though, was again the hero as he saved from Jordan Ainslie’s penalty to earn his side victory.

Coldstream: Mason, McLeod, J Ainslie, Baxendale, K Ainslie, Hebdon, Heugh, McCrudden, Tait, Simpson, Coyle. Subs: Lambert, O’Neil, Allan, Cannon, Crawford.

Craigroyston: Addison, Young, Hogarth, Campbell, Ritchie, Greenhill, Moncur, Hendrie, Lynch, Dickson, Wilson. Subs: Douglas, Mukundwa, Burnside.