Craigie captain boots team to Stead & Simpson glory

Craigroyston CYFC celebrate after beating Edinburgh Harps 5-4 in the shoot-out after a 2-2 draw
Craigroyston CYFC celebrate after beating Edinburgh Harps 5-4 in the shoot-out after a 2-2 draw
Have your say

Craigroyston CYFC lifted the Stead & Simpson Cup after a 5-4 penalties victory over Edinburgh Harps at Paties Road.

In what was an enthralling final the game finished 2-2 in 90 minutes with Craigie breaking the deadlock 25 minutes in. Ryan Robertson showed a turn of pace down the right before squaring the ball to Grant Stuart who blasted in from the edge of the area.

The Harps showed fight in response and five minutes after the interval they put themselves on level terms. John McClarey nipped in at the front post to turn in Kevin Harkin’s corner from the right. Parity was to be short lived for Edinburgh however as ten minutes later Craigroyston were ahead once more. Against the run of play Robertson turned his man in the box before sliding to turn the loose ball past keeper Eugene Sheehy.

The Harps found a reply, albeit with a bit of good fortune. Steve Mahon drove down the left before firing a low cross into the area which defender Jonathan O’Keefe unintentionally turned into his own net.

With neither side able to find a winner in extra time, penalties were required and it was captain Alex Macleod who held his nerve to win the shoot-out for Craigie.

Dylan strikes right note

Linlithgow Thistle came from behind to progress to the final of the Cairns Cup with a 3-2 win away to Mayfield & Easthouses at Easthouses Park.

After chances fell to both sides in the opening half an hour, the hosts scored when a corner from the left found the head of Stewart McGuinness at the near post.

Thistle drew level after the break when striker Dylan Robb put the ball in off the post with a first-time shot from the edge of the area. But Martin Hughes scored foe the hosts ten minutes later when he cut in from the wing to score when one-on-one with the Thistle keeper.

Thistle equalised once more through Gary Mitchell’s header at the back post.

With both sides searching for a winning goal late on, Thistle made their moment count when Robb applied an overhead finish in the area to make it 3-2 with barely 30 seconds to play.

Gyle shoot down Tynie

South Gyle AFC kept their promotion hopes alive in Premier Division 2 with a 4-1 win over second place Tynecastle at Colinton Mains Park.

After going 1-0 down to the visitors through a 15th minute Gareth Manson strike, South Gyle scored four long-range efforts to all but put the game to bed before the break.

With half an hour gone the hosts equalised when Greg Rudkins-Stow received a short corner before pinging a shot into the far corner from the corner of the 18 yard box.

Minutes later the strike was matched by his team-mate, former Tynie player Stewart Crozier who, in a carbon copy of the first goal, struck a short corner in from just outside the area.

With Tynecastle on the back foot, Gyle took advantage and added two more before half-time to extend their lead. Johnnie Niven side-stepped two challenges from the edge of the box before firing the ball into the net. Then, on the verge of half-time, Crozier grabbed another with a low, free-kick into the far corner from range.

Despite an improved performance after the interval from the visitors they could not find a way back into the game and South Gyle held on to take maximum points.