Craigroyston Boys Club 14s lift the Charles Porter Cup

Craigroyston Boys Club 14s
Craigroyston Boys Club 14s
Have your say

Craigroyston Boys Club 14s lifted the Charles Porter Cup after a spirited 2-0 victory over Musselburgh Windsor Colts 14s at New Dundas Park.

The West Edinburgh side started brightest and in the fifth minute they led with the first shot of the game. Darren Hunter drove to the edge of the box before striking a well-hit right-foot shot which was too powerful for Musselburgh goalkeeper Lawrie Simpson and it flew into the back of the net.

Craigroyston continued to dominate and had Musselburgh penned back in their own half for long spells. To their credit, Windsor stood firm after conceding the early goal and they needed to, as Craigroyston weren’t letting up.

The league leaders continued to look dangerous and had a flurry of great chances to extend their lead.

Two good saves by Simpson though kept Craigroyston at bay. The first was after Deroin Simpson received a low ball in from the wing and hit a close-range effort to which the goalkeeper reacted well.

The second was minutes later when Simpson again had a shot on goal, this time from the edge of the box, but the ’keeper again was equal to it and pulled off a good save to his right-hand side.

Simpson again had a fantastic chance from close range after James Tipton threaded in a square ball but, from six yards out, he couldn’t direct his shot on goal, much to the disbelief of his team-mates and himself.

It had taken half an hour, but Musselburgh began to get into the game and started to pass the ball around.

They had a good chance to level the scores thanks to some individual brilliance by Struan Ritchie.

In a cracking run down the wing by the left-sided player, he skipped past two challenges, then cut inside and hit a close-range effort on goal, but it was equalled by a good, low save by Craigroyston goalkeeper Jamie Ross.

For the remainder of the first half, Windsor looked to press, but they were unable to penetrate the Craigroyston defence. After half-time they came out strong again and almost levelled things up five minutes into the half.

A long ball forward found its way to Liam Risi who was one-on-one with the onrushing Ross.

Risi tried a skilful effort to lob the goalkeeper, but it missed the target by a few feet.

Craigroyston almost went two goals ahead shortly afterwards, when a cross was met by David Douglas whose header cannoned off the crossbar.

The next goal was going to be crucial and Musselburgh had another fantastic opportunity in the 65th minute.

Adam Mackie received a perfectly-weighted through ball from midfield, but with just the goalkeeper to beat, he shot wide of the target.

The miss was to prove costly for Windsor as, just five minutes later, Craigroyston grabbed their second of the game. They had looked dangerous down the left-hand side throughout the match putting good balls into the area from that flank. This one came in low and reached the feet of Lewis Watson who made no mistake, tapping the ball in from six yards.

On the day, Craigroyston showed determination and quality to lift the cup. Musselburgh played well but were unable to take their chances in an encounter which turned out to be a closely-fought contest.

Musselburgh Windsor Colts: Lawrie Simpson, Lewis Hannah, Kieran Lugton, Callum Henderson, Steven McCole, Jake Cantley, Lewis Renton, William Ladbrooke, Adam Mackie, Liam Risi, Sam Millar, Tommy Owenson, Blair Anderson, Blair Devlin, Robbie Jenkin, Struan Ritchie.

Craigroyston BC: Jamie Ross, Brandin Sharpe, James Tipton, Bryan Dudgeon, Cameron Archibald, Brandon Sives, David Douglas, Darren Hunter, Aaron Hughes, Ryan Shanley, Lewis Watson, Kyle Collins, Conrad Cinar, Deroin Simpson, Matthew Delworth, Nathan Fallon.