Cup gives Rose cheer after league slump

Bonnyrigg Rose 15s
Bonnyrigg Rose 15s
Share this article
Have your say

Bonnyrigg Rose Under-15s 
could just have kick-started their season with a 6-2 victory over Cramond in the SPORTS
assist South East Region Cup at Davidson’s Mains Park.

The Midlothian outfit have so far struggled for form, losing all four of their opening league fixtures this season but showed little fear in what proved to be a comfortable victory over their Division 2 opponents.

Cramond on the other hand, showed great spirit and were not outclassed, particularly in the second half when they enjoyed considerable amounts of possession.

It was always going to be a tall order for the hosts as Bonnyrigg had raced into a 3-0 lead by half-time; Kieran Young’s clinical finishing had earned the striker two goals and Connor Clapperton had also chipped in with a third.

Young added another two 
after the interval, with Jose Herreros finishing things off for the visitors.

Cramond’s Connor Miller and Elliot Taylor were on 
target for the home side in a lively second 40 minutes where the woodwork was struck at both ends on more than one 

Bonnyrigg coach Paul Alexander was delighted to have advanced into the next round.

He said: “Division 1 is a very tough league so it’s always going to be difficult. But I’m pleased with this victory, it was a physical battle in wet conditions but we played well.”

Hutchie have a little extra

Hutchison Vale and Cavalry Park Under-15s needed extra time to settle their hard-fought SPORTSassist South East Region Cup encounter after it finished 3-3 in 80 minutes at Meggetland.

It was Hutchie, however, who prevailed 5-3 in additional time to move one step closer to the final at Hallhill, Dunbar next May. Hutchie’s Les Trotter said: “I think we deserved to edge it, they scored in the last minute to put it to extra time but we upped the tempo and got the goals to win the game.”

The first half was short on goals as both sides failed to find the net, the second 40 however was a far from dull affair. Innes Goodall struck twice to put Hutchie two up before Calum Shiels reduced the deficit for Cavalry who went in search of an equaliser.

However, Hutchie looked to have booked their passage into the next round when Aaron Singh put the hosts 3-1 up with the clock running down. Cavalry had other ideas though and Ross Lamb made it 3-2 
before the same player curled an exquisite effort into the far corner to level the tie in the 
final minute. However, Goodall completed his hat-trick in the extra-time allotted to put Hutchie 4-3 ahead before Regan Hendry notched a fifth to finally clinch the tie.

Tynie go top of Division 1

Tynecastle Under-16s claimed a precious three 
points to lead the way at 
the top of SERYFA Division 1 after beating arch rivals Hutchison Vale 2-1 at Forrester High.

It was the home side who struck first when Hutchie’s Ryan Weston converted from the edge of the area, finding 
the back of the net to hand his side the advantage, but 
Tynecastle were soon level through the tenacious Kyle Mitchell who scored to send in the players all-square at the break.

Mitchell was the hero in the second half when he tucked away the winner with his second of the match, finishing 
off a fine move with a clinical finish to send his side four points clear at the top of the table.

City 17s are the real stars

Edinburgh City Under-17s secured an impressive 3-2 
victory away to Division 2 
rivals Currie Star in the 
SPORTSassist South East 
Region Cup at Meggetland’s 3G.

The victory was made 
even greater considering 
City were reduced to ten 
men in the first half when 
Hamish MacFarlane was sent off for a second bookable 

Lewes Brown opened the scoring for the visitors when he fired in a left-foot volley 
before Fraser Kirkman levelled for the hosts.

City once again restored their lead when David Mackenzie struck from the penalty spot 
after the half-time break, 
and Peter Connolly tapped 
in from six yards to make it 

Rory Grevers ensured an 
uncomfortable end to the match for City’s players and coaches as he made it 3-2, but it was the team in black and 
white celebrating at the final whistle.