David Cherrie puts icing on Gotham City’s cake

Gotham City triumphed against Pumpherston
Gotham City triumphed against Pumpherston
Have your say

David Cherrie was the hero Gotham City were looking for as he scored late on against Pumpherston Thistle to secure a 3-2 victory at Gyle Park.

City struck first in this Sunday Morning League encounter. Barry Davidson’s cross found Kevin Fitz and despite protests from the Pumphy defence, his header was deemed to have crossed the line by the referee.

Thistle hit back ten minutes later with a goal of their own. A hopeful ball forward found Michael McCusker and he sent through Murray Milne to fire past Gotham keeper Chris Evans.

However, it wasn’t enough to deter City as they found a second of the game soon after. Fitz this time turned provider as he played in Cherrie for his first of the game.

After the break Pumphy again replied and this time it was thanks to a little help from their opponents. Cameron Tully’s cross-cum-shot from the right deceived Evans as the ball sailed over his head and into the back of the net.

Cherrie then stepped up as Gotham’s saviour in injury time as he spun and finished past Pumphy goalie Andrew Stears to grab the points for his side.

• LEAFA newcomers FC Oceana continued their unbeaten start in Edinburgh East with a convincing 6-1 win over Civil Service Strollers at Gyle Park.

After a delayed kick-off because both sides had turned up in white jerseys, Oceana soon had a goal to their name as Kal Uheida headed home.

Ross Davies then netted a double as Oceana turned on the style. They further extended their lead as Uheida added another with a driving run into the area before slotting in.

Strollers were afforded a brief moment of respite when they pulled one back through trialist Josh Foggo but it wasn’t to be the beginning of an epic comeback. Davies picked up his hattrick to quash any slim hopes their opponents had before Jamie Campbell came off the bench to add Oceana’s sixth of the afternoon.

• Edinburgh Rose maintained their promising start to the season with a comfortable 5-1 win in the Logan Cup first round over Salters Athletic at Duddingston Playing Fields.

Jamie Stewart found the back of the net with a penalty early on in the fixture to give Rose the ideal start. However, they were quickly brought back down to earth moments later when Marc Finney seized upon a loose ball upfield to fire in for Athletic.

Despite that, Rose rallied before the close of the first half and they grabbed two more to put themselves in a strong position for the second 45. Alan Smith restored their lead with a header before Michael Kustra showed composure to round the Athletic keeper and send the ball in for 3-1.

Salters were giving it their all to restrict their opponents, but were helpless as Rose upped the anti in the second half to add two more. Gary Hill followed up Darren Smith’s initial shot to further extend the winning margin before Smith sent through Stuart Morrison to fire in for number five. With that, the icing was on the cake for Rose as they secured another victory for the season.