Dominant Hutchie 13s claim more silverware

Tynecastle 13s
Tynecastle 13s
Share this article
Have your say

Hutchison VALE 13s added yet another piece of silverware to their season of supremacy as they landed the Sportsassist South East Region Cup with a 3-0 win over Tynecastle at Hallhill, Dunbar.

The first half was unable to produce much in the way of goal-scoring opportunities with both teams struggling to find any fluency and several misplaced passes proving to be their downfall.

However, Hutchison Vale did eventually manage to create the first chance of the match from a corner from the right. With the ball bobbling in around Tynecastle goalkeeper Robert Watt’s territory, the players in black and yellow only required a touch to take it over the line but failed to force the ball home.

Tynecastle’s Levi Kinchant then played a neat pass inside the Hutchie defence, but Ryan Colgan failed to capitalise as he fired wide.

However, good play from Colgan’s teammate Robbie McPherson, sent Murray Hand through on the edge of the penalty area and his pass was met by Euan Lee who brought out a save from Hutchie Vale’s Jamie Mitchell in goal.

Hutchie’s Calum Watson then thought he’d try his luck from distance but his shot from 25 yards failed to test Watt.

The opening goal did arrive five minutes into the second-half through Harry Girdwood’s fantastic strike. The No.12 picked up the ball 20 yards out and drove in on the right before firing the ball low into the net beyond Watt to put Hutchie one to the good.

Hutchie didn’t have long to wait for a second, as it duly arrived a minute later.

Great agility in the box from Fareid Yassein created space and he found an unmarked Robbie Polson at the back post who clinically dispatched the ball into the back of the net. Great strength and power from Tynecastle’s Callum Crawford almost reduced the deficit but his near-post shot was well covered by Mitchell.

Then Girdwood almost grabbed his second of the match with a header but the ball went a fraction wide of the far post.

Yassein will still be wondering how he missed from two yards as Girdwood’s inviting cross from the right was inch-perfect but the little striker somehow managed to knock it over with the goal gaping.

Watt did well to keep out Alistair McCann’s cross come shot as it almost looped under the crossbar before Mitchell held well at the other end to keep out Daniel Walls’ powerful drive from 25 yards.

Ciaran Fraser should have made it three from a couple of yards after Euan McGuire’s cross from the left, as Tynecastle struggled to create any clear cut opportunities that could find them a way back into the game.

However, it was Girdwood who attained his second with five minutes remaining and ensured the trophy would be coming Hutchie’s way. A high ball was insufficiently dealt with by Watt, who fumbled and Girdwood had the easiest of chances to knock the ball home from a yard out. Hutchie’s coach Alan McConnell felt the changes made to his side’s formation after the half-time break was key to securing cup glory.

He said: “It was a very tight first half with nothing between the sides and if anything, they probably shaded it. We changed it about in the second with a few positional changes and that worked out a lot better for us. We have won the Scottish and now we’ve won the next biggest competition so everyone’s happy.”

Tynecastle: Robert Watt, Lewis Docker, Bruce McCrorie, Ben Voy, Rhys Dickson, Murray Rose, Ryan Colgan, Murray Hand, Tod Rowell, Callum Crawford, Robbie McPherson, Euan Lee, Levi Kinchant, Daniel Walls, Cameron Liddell.

Hutchison Vale: Jamie Mitchell, Brandon Spowart, Lewis Hall, Kacper Balaban, Owen Richardson, Alistair McCann, Jamie Docherty, Calum Watson, Ciaran Fraser, Fareid Yassein, Robbie Polson, Harry Girdwood, Euan McGuire, Dillon Floyd, Fraser Martin.