Dramatic finale in Colin Greenhill Memorial Trophy

Leith Athletic with the 2014 Colin Greenhill Memorial Trophy
Leith Athletic with the 2014 Colin Greenhill Memorial Trophy
Have your say

Leith Athletic 16s lifted the Colin Greenhill Memorial Trophy after beating Tynecastle 16s 2-1 in a closely-fought encounter at New Dundas Park, Bonnyrigg.

The competition – played in memory of the popular Evening News journalist – got a gorgeous, sunny evening for the final taking place at the second attempt having been abandoned at half-time when originally played just over a fortnight ago.

The first chance of the game came when Leith’s Jamie Chapman sent a corner into the box and after going through a crowd of players Marco Mcbride got on the end of it, but could only head agonisingly wide.

Leith then came close to breaking the deadlock once more. James Burt surged forward and hit a long-range, left-footed shot, but it wasn’t accurate enough to trouble Kieron Ross in the Tynecastle goal as the ball sailed wide of the mark.

It was a scrappy start to the game by both sides. Neither Tynecastle nor Leith managed to establish any sort of rhythm in the opening stages. It was a far cry from the dominant displays both sides had shown in the earlier part of the competition, but there was an obvious determination by both teams to take the lead.

Leith continued to seek out an early lead and in the 23rd minute almost found the net. Another Chapman corner came from the right-hand side and met Burt, who hit a stinging left-footed effort on the half volley towards goal. It was inches away from creeping under the bar, to his frustration.

Tynecastle had been quiet up to this point but started to come into the game just before half-time with two chances in the space of five minutes. After pushing forward they won a corner, which Kacper Korpalski met inside the six-yard box with a header which looked to be going in, but the Leith defence managed somehow to clear the ball off the line.

Soon afterwards, a mazy run by Sonny Swanson won Tynecastle a free kick 30 yards from goal. It was curled into the area by Daniel Headspeath and met by target man Korpalski again, but this time Leith goalkeeper Aaron King was aware of the threat and came to meet his header.

With the scores level at half-time both sides were keen to make a mark early in the second half.

Mcbride was making a nuisance of himself down the wing and almost broke the deadlock five minutes into the half for Leith. He bore down on the Tynie goal, cut inside and hit a left-footed shot across keeper Ross who pulled off a good save low down.

Tynecastle really should have heeded this as a warning as, shortly afterwards, they conceded thanks to some fantastic free-flowing passing by Leith.

Coll Reekie made inroads into the Tynie half and played a defence-splitting through ball to Jay McManus.

McManus hit an elegant shot with the outside of the boot, past the onrushing Ross and into the back of the net to put Leith ahead.

The lead was short-lived for Leith however, as a resurgent Tynecastle hit back just five minutes later. Bradley James Sinclair was put through down the left-hand side. He outpaced his marker, cut inside and slotted home with composure past King, who could do little about this one.

Tynecastle continued to press forward, now looking to take the lead, but the Leith defence stood firm and were closing the ball down at every opportunity.

Their efforts were rewarded in the late stages of the game when they were awarded a penalty after Burt was fouled in the area.

With the game drawing to a close, the decision was greeted with jubilation by the Leith dugout alongside frustration from the Tynie technical area.

The responsibility was left to Calum Sandison who dispatched the penalty with confidence into the bottom left corner of the goal before being mobbed by his ecstatic team-mates. Given the pressure of the penalty at such a late stage of the game it was made to look easy by the No 15.

With both sides looking to grab a late winner, the game could have gone either way, but on this occasion it was to be Leith’s day and they had put in a performance which merited the full-time result.

Tynecastle 16s: Kieron Ross, Daniel Matthews, Daniel Headspeath, Aaron Nugent, Kacper Korpalski, Mark Mathison, Daryl Henderson, Sonny Swanson, Bradley James Sinclair, Alexander Hutchison, Lloyd Fiddler, Samer Lazim, Jason Aitken, Robbie Conway.

Leith Athletic 16s: Aaron King, Ross Aitchison, Murray Scott, James Burt, Lee Thomson, Coll Reekie, Ewan Stark, Jamie Chapman, Calum Sandison, Jay McManus, Marco Mcbride, Bernard