East Linton player/boss Rollo seals win

East Linton prevailed against Tollcross Thistle. Pic: Chris Martin
East Linton prevailed against Tollcross Thistle. Pic: Chris Martin
Have your say

East Linton player-manager Gordon Rollo couldn’t hide his satisfaction after scoring a brace to win his side a point against Tollcross Thistle at Forrester High School.

After the visitors conceded two first-half goals, joiner Rollo subbed himself on to put a spanner in the works for Tollcross, earning his side a draw with two second half goals. “I’m absolutely delighted. We gave them far too much time and space in the box in the first half and we corrected that in the second. They are, after all, one of the leagues best teams.

“We were by far the better team in the second half and deserved a point,” the 34-year-old said. After squandering a few early opportunities, Tollcross found the net on the 25-minute mark to go ahead when Gary White chased down a through ball to slot in at the near post.

Michael Yuill then quickly fired Tollcross two ahead before half time when he spun his marker on the edge of the box.

It was a game of two halves, however, with the visitors looking stronger in the second 45. With 20 minutes to go, Rollo pounced on a loose ball in the box to find the goal. Then, on the verge of full-time, he again got on the end of a low cross to knock in a leveller, much to his side’s jubilation.

Edinburgh University took advantage of ten-man Dunalba FC to run riot in their Premier Division 2 clash, with an 8-1 scoreline.

After Lee Dennison’s cracking 20-yard strike put the hosts ahead 15 minutes in, they went down to ten men when they were unable to replace an injured player with no substitutes available.

The visitors, who have been in fine form this season, took full advantage and racked up four goals before half-time.

Andrew Findlay quickly levelled the scoreline with a neat finish one-on-one with the goalkeeper before Phil McNicholas put his side into the lead.

Then, after Findlay cut in from the left-hand side to smash in his side’s third, Ciaran Duffy hit a placed shot from the edge of the box to make it 4-1 to Edinburgh at the break.

Findlay was causing all sorts of problems for the depleted Dunalba side down the left-hand side. After he scored twice more with powerful runs into the box from the wing, Joe Darvill grabbed a brace to add insult to injury for the hosts.

Pencaitland FC progressed to the second round of the Ian McDonald Cup after a closely-fought 4-2 victory over North Berwick.

After an even first half-an-hour, the visitors took the tie by the scruff of its neck and grabbed two quick-fire goals to go in happy at half-time. Blair Anderson grabbed the first five minutes before the break with a tap in off James Peggie’s low cross.

Then, after Abraham Osman was fouled in the box, he dusted himself off to fire in a penalty past the Berwick goalie.

The hosts, who hadn’t created much in the first half, came out revitalised in the second and fought back with two goals to send game to extra time.

Ten minutes after the break, Calum Clacey robbed the Pencaitland defence and fired in, and he got another near the end with an audacious lob over the stranded keeper from 40 yards.

Into extra time, it was the visitors who made their chances count to win the game. After Jamie Brown slotted in the ball from John Mclean’s pass, sub Stuart Douglas made sure of the result with a neat finish as Pencaitland countered at the end of extra time.