East of Scotland: Leith maintain 100 per cent start

Lewis Martin was on target for Leith Athletic
Lewis Martin was on target for Leith Athletic
Have your say

LEITH ATHLETIC stretched their lead at the top of the East of Scotland League to five points after coming from behind for the third game running to secure a 3-1 win over Hawick Royal Albert.

The visitors took the lead against the run of play at Meadowbank 3G courtesy of a superb 30-yard volley by Fergus Lockhart.

Leith, holders of a 100 per cent record this season, were not knocked out of their stride, however, and equalised on 37 minutes through James Hainey, who kept up his impressive goalscoring form.

Grant Burns doubled Leith’s lead just before half-time with an effort at the back post and the points were sealed late on when Lewis Martin converted a penalty with John Ferguson also striking the bar.

In the other matches, Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale were made to fight all the way at Saughton Enclosure in a 2-1 win over Ormiston.

Nicky Cairns headed in the opener for the East Lothian side after 15 minutes, but Lothian equalised 20 minutes later through John Ross Kerr after a Willis Hare cross.

Darren Smith notched the second goal for Lothian just before the hour mark as they prepare to face Berwick Rangers next weekend in the East of Scotland Cup final at Shielfield Park.

“We were a bit sluggish but, after the highs of the cup win over Kelty Hearts, it can be difficult to keep everyone focused for the league games which are still your top priority,” acknowledged Lothian boss Raymond Carr.

Civil Service Strollers were 1-0 winners at Peebles Rovers with Jordan Finnie scoring the winner for the Capital outfit at Whitestone Park.

“We’re delighted to come away with the three points and I thought good football won on the day,” said Strollers boss Alex Cunningham, who had son Matthew ordered off in the second half.

Tynecastle boss Steve Vinter hailed his side’s best result of the season so far as two late strikes from Scott Coleman earned ten men Tynie a 2-0 win at Eyemouth after Dayne Robertson was ordered off.

“To play the match for over an hour with ten men with a depleted squad and still pick up the points is a really good result for us,” said Vinter, who will be missing Robbie McIntyre and Chris Joyce for the next three months due to injury.

Craigroyston also picked up a valuable three points at St Mark’s Park with a 2-1 win over Burntisland, Greig Tulloch netting the second goal to move them seven points clear of bottom markers Eyemouth.