Easthouses edge past Tynecastle in Alex Jack Cup

Share this article
Have your say

First Division club Easthouses Lily knocked Tynecastle out of the Alex Jack Cup with a penalty shootout victory in Midlothian.

Tynie were in front on three occasions during regulation time and extra time, but a resilient Easthouses levelled three times, with Jamie Shields’ effort on 119 minutes forcing spot-kicks.

The hosts scored all four of their efforts from 12 yards, while Tynecastle missed their first and fifth penalties to hand victory to Easthouses.

In the same competition, Heriot-Watt University lost 4-0 at home to Stirling University’s Lowland League outfit.

Burntisland Shipyard came back from 1-0 down to win 5-2 at home to Duns and claim a place in the next round of the Image Printers Qualifying Cup.

Brendan Napier’s brace added to strikes by Craig Lowe, Kevin Masson and Stephen Connor for the impressive hosts.

Hawick Royal Albert scored three times in the final 15 minutes to seal victory at Eyemouth United. Kevin Strathdee and Michael Smith put Hawick 2-0 up before Eyemouth levelled, but Peter Keenan’s late double sandwiched Peter Johnson’s strike on 82 minutes to hand Hawick a 5-2 win.

A brace from Scott Wright and two penalties by Craig Fisher saw Ormiston win 4-2 at Kelso United, for whom Darren Bowie and Calum McClure were on target. Peter Conaghan scored twice with Chris Wright and Mark Leslie also on target as Leith Athletic comfortably defeated Edinburgh University 4-1.

Peebles Rovers ousted Craigroyston on penalties after a 3-3 draw.

Scott Sutherland, Philip Alexander and a late Craig Edgar equaliser in regulation time provided the hosts’ goals, while Stewart Adams, Scott Ritchie, and Steven Moncur netted for Craigie.

Moncur and James Guy missed in the shootout, while Peebles proved successful with each of their spot-kicks.

Among the Lowland League sides in the competition, Spartans beat Edinburgh City 3-1, Gretna 2008 won 2-0 at Selkirk and Whitehill Welfare beat East of Scotland side Coldstream 3-1.

Dean Carse and Neil Janczyk netted for Berwick Rangers Reserves, who won 2-1 at home to Spartans Reserves.