Edinburgh City and Whitehill battle to stalemate

Whitehill Welfare's Bryan Young 'gathers a cross as 'Edinburgh City mount an attack. Team-mates congratulate'John Dunn after his first-half strike gave Edinburgh City the lead. Pictures: Jon Savage
Whitehill Welfare's Bryan Young 'gathers a cross as 'Edinburgh City mount an attack. Team-mates congratulate'John Dunn after his first-half strike gave Edinburgh City the lead. Pictures: Jon Savage
Have your say

Edinburgh City and Whitehill Welfare could again not be separated in their Lowland League Cup clash on a day that closely mirrored their league encounter of earlier in the season.

First-half strikes by John Dunn and Steven Manson respectively meant it was a point apiece before Andrew Kidd’s late red card meant this match followed a similar pattern to the pair’s previous meeting at Meadowbank,

City boss Gary Jardine thought his side could have had the game won in the first half, but had little complaint with the final outcome. “We played well for the first 30 minutes,” said Jardine.

“The chances we created, we could have been out of sight. Against Whitehill, who are a good side, to create so many chances is what you want to do.

“We can take them in the league but when it comes to the cups we’ve missed a few chances but it was still a good game.”

The hosts made the majority of the early running and ensured visiting goalkeeper Bryan Young was occupied. Mark Osborne created his own space before firing wide on five minutes, then Ross Allum volleyed Shaun Harrison’s clipped ball over the top narrowly wide three minutes later.

Allum couldn’t have come closer without scoring when he met Gordon Donaldson’s cross only to see his header come back of the post.

Whitehill finally came to life on 21 minutes. A one-two between Kerr Dodds and Aaron Somerville put the former in on goal, but he dragged his shot wide of Andrew Stobie’s far post.

City responded immediately by taking the lead. John Dunn drove down the right, sending in a cross intended for Allum, but seemed to take a deflection and loop over Young into the far corner. Dougie Gair almost doubled their advantage within a minute, but Young got down well to tip his effort wide.

Mickey Lawson’s side had been second best for the opening half hour, but levelled on 31 minutes. Stobie could only parry Dodds’ powerful effort and winger Stevie Manson followed up from close range. The wide man almost gave his side the lead in spectacular fashion on 35 minutes, hitting a volley from fully 25 yards that needed holding by Stobie.

A slack Frazer Paterson back pass right on half-time presented Aaron Somerville with a golden chance. The striker rounded the keeper but Paterson recovered brilliantly to race back and clear off the line.

There were fewer clear-cut chances in the second half than the first, and both sides could have won it. Allum saw another low shot tipped wide by Young six minutes after the break, before Willie Kidd’s angled effort hit the outside of the post. Young then stood up bravely to pull off an impressive double save from Gair before Stobie stopped Somerville’s curling effort a minute after the hour.

Allum should have won it late on when he seized on John Hall’s short passback but slid the ball past Young and the post. There was still time for Andrew Kidd to be dismissed after a second yellow for dissent before the game ended all square.

Whitehill boss Mickey Lawson was satisfied with a draw, although he is rueing another suspension. “A draw was fair. They’re a good side who had one or two missing – so did we – but I think we have three suspended next week which is a bummer,” he said. “They’ll be looking for us to do them a favour against Spartans. They were better the first half hour but then we came into it.”

Edinburgh City: Stobie; Harrison (Caddow 69); Donaldson; Deniran (Guthrie 62); Paterson, Mbu; Gibson; Gair; Allum; Dunn; Osborne.

Whitehill Welfare: Young; Martin; McKenzie; Hall; W Kidd; Dodds (Quinn 90); Manson; A Kidd; Somerville (Noon 86); McGlashan; Sproule (McIntosh 72).