Edinburgh City make it back-to-back wins in league

City captain Dougie Gair opened the scoring
City captain Dougie Gair opened the scoring
Share this article
Have your say

Edinburgh City manager Gary Jardine wants his team to harvest as many league points as they can during the remainder of the season after a 2-1 home win over Dalbeattie Star made it back-to-back wins.

His players have now taken maximum points from their last two fixtures since the return to league duty at the beginning of the month.

Their latest triumph at Meadowbank on Saturday afternoon, was perhaps not the most pleasing on the eye – it did, however, deliver exactly what the manager ordered in that his players amassed all three points. Following up the win from last weekend’s 4-1 rout over Gala Fairydean Rovers, Jardine said: “I said before the match that we needed to put back-to-back wins together more often soI’m pleased we’ve managed that.

“We seem to always put a run together away from home so we need to be stronger here at the (Meadowbank) stadium. It was a really good three points. We’ve taken six off Dalbeattie now which I’m sure they won’t be happy about but, over the 90 minutes, I think we deserved all three points.

“East Kilbride are a really good side so it will be a very tough game next week, but there are no easy games in this league.

“We’ve had to fight for the three points against Dalbeattie so we expect the same with East Kilbride.”

The visitors were slack in the opening stages as Sam Warren’s misplaced pass was seized upon by City striker Ross Guthrie, who in turn fed Ian McFarland, but the onrushing midfielder was off balance when he gained control inside the penalty area and shot wide of the target.

A deft touch from Dalbeattie’s Jack Steele then put Hugh Cameron in the clear, but his opposing number and City captain Dougie Gair raced to his team’s aid with a stern block and the danger was cleared.

The opening goal of the afternoon almost arrived 20 minutes in as Daryl Devlin’s split pass put Gair through and his cross across the face of goal was deflected by defender Ritchie Maxwell which forced Darren Martin into a terrific point-blank save.

Then, just 60 seconds later, Dalbeattie striker Scott Milligan stretched his legs by outpacing Stefano Mauro but keeper Andrew Stobie denied the forward using his legs to block his shot on goal.

The home side then pounced with the opener when a good move brought about Gair beating Martin to the ball, and the long-serving captain raced to prod the ball into the net from just a couple of yards out despite a valiant effort from a host of defenders.

Stobie then denied Dalbeattie’s Lewis Sloan’s goal-bound header with a superb reaction save before Devlin’s angled attempt into the far corner brought out the best in Martin.

City doubled their lead with 20 minutes remaining when, after Gordon Donaldson had forced Martin into another act of brilliance with a terrific tip round the right-hand post, the resulting corner from Guthrie was once again met by Donaldson who this time wouldn’t be denied as his header powered into the back of the net from six yards.

Dalbattie increased their tempo in the aftermath of City’s second and despite Steele heading in from Warren’s free-kick from just outside the penalty area in the closing stages, the home side’s defence held firm to see out the match.

Edinburgh City: Stobie, Caddow, Donaldson, Mauro, Paterson, McFarland (Osborne 82), Devlin (Burgess 86), Gair, Guthrie (McConnell 77), Vanson, Torrance. Subs: Stenhouse, Mackintosh.

Dalbeattie Star: Martin, MacBeth (Fergusson 46), Warren, Anderson, Maxwell, Dunlingson, Struthers (Handling 70), Cameron (Cook 81), Milligan, Steele, Sloan. Subs: Kerr, Drysdale.