Edinburgh City put to the sword in Michael Moran tie

Have your say

Newcraighall Leith Victoria 17s proved too strong for Edinburgh City at Forrester High with a 4-2 victory in the Michael Moran Cup.

Newcraighall now face a home quarter-final tie against a Peebles side struggling for consistency.

Curtis Imrie put the visitors ahead after 20 minutes when he latched onto substitute Jordan Grant’s cross and converted from close range.

Striker Steven Coyle then doubled Newcraighall’s lead with a neat finish but the home side reduced the deficit shortly after half time when Hamish MacFarlane ran on to a long clearance from defence to score.

However, Imrie restored his side’s two-goal cushion with a fine header into the corner before the teenager completed his hat-trick to make it 4-1.

Blair Lumsden gave City a glimmer of hope with a second from the penalty spot before both sides were reduced to ten men after City goalscorer MacFarlane was involved in a fracas with Newcraighall’s Stuart McKay.

Grant then had a chance to make it five for Newcraighall from the penalty spot but his effort came back off the post.

Nonetheless, Newcraighall coach Kevin Millar was thrilled with the win. He said: “It was a funny game with a lot of chances at both ends but we’re pleased to get through.

“I’m happy at getting a home draw in the next round but Peebles are a stuffy side to play against.”

Edinburgh City’s Jimmy 
McDonaugh said: “The league is all we have left to go for so we will need to ensure we try and get as many points as we can between now and the end of the season.”

Currie 13s storm back

Currie Star 13s fought back from two goals down to reach the final of the Tom Welsh Cup with a 4-3 success over a 
battling Leith Athletic Colts at a snowy Meggetland.

Conditions were difficult for both sides with heavy snow making the artificial surface extremely slippery underfoot.

However, victorious Star coach Dean Montgomery said: “It was really difficult to play football out there and Leith probably had the better chances to be honest so we were fortunate to get back into it.

“Dean Galloway, our centre-back, was solid and had a fantastic game so he was our man-of-the match.”

Leith went two goals up courtesy of Jake Montgomery’s double but Star fought back with Russell Cairns levelling it up before the break with two goals of his own. His second strike was a particular highlight as he delightfully chipped the Leith goalkeeper. Cairns then completed his hat-trick as he rounded the Leith No. 1 to score before the visitors found their shooting boots again to square the match at 3-3 through 
Lennon Clark. Star then sealed their place in next Friday’s final against North Merchiston when a neat move involving Robbie 
Campbell was tucked away by James Cameron to spark jubilation amongst the Currie contingent.

Leith Athletic Colts’ John Hutchison said: “It was really difficult conditions to play in but we’ve stepped up to the mark this season and equipped ourselves well.”

Spartans into Gowans final

Spartans FC 17s will contest this year’s Craig Gowans Memorial Cup final against Tynecastle after a 2-0 victory at home to North Merchiston. A goal in either half was enough to secure Spartans’ place in the showpiece tie despite a spirited performance from the visitors at Ainslie Park.

The home side were ahead after five minutes when Cameron Armstrong’s free-kick from the right was insufficiently dealt with by Merchiston goalkeeper Darren Mitchell and ended up in the net.

Spartans continued to press forward as Merchiston struggled to keep them at bay and a fast break in the second half sent Jamie Atkinson through the centre of the Merchiston defence before the youngster showed terrific composure to fire his shot past Mitchell and put Spartans 2-0 ahead.

Merchiston tried to find a route back into the game but were met by a stubborn home defence determined not to