Edinburgh City rediscover their appetite in Glasgow

Edinburgh City celebrate their victory against BSC Glasgow. Pic: Zoe Birkbeck
Edinburgh City celebrate their victory against BSC Glasgow. Pic: Zoe Birkbeck
Have your say

Gary Jardine felt he got the hunger he asked for from his Edinburgh City players as they ran out 3-1 winners away to BSC Glasgow.

Chris McKee and Shaun Harrison had City 2-0 up before Aiden Ferris halved the deficit before half-time. Ouzy See’s second-half header sealed the points as BSC finished with ten men after Gerry O’Donnell’s straight red.

Jardine now believes his side are approaching the standards they set last season after a 
couple of recent defeats. “I was pleased with our application and I think we were hungry,” he said. “We spoke about last week and we were desperate to take the three points. We know we can overpower teams so we were looking to get in the game and keep it tight, but I was surprised with the amount of chances we created to be honest, so I’m pleased.

“I thought for most of the game we were the better side but for a time when it was 2-1 it was pretty even-stevens. We worried that a couple of chances that we missed might have come back and bit us on the bum, but Ouzy’s popped up and deserved his goal for his work rate and his quality today.”

City couldn’t have come closer to taking an early lead. Ian McFarland played a short corner to Chris McKee, who hit the byline and hung a cross towards the back post. Sean Muhsin rose highest and his header beat Iain Stewart, but was headed off the line by Mark Toner.

The champions controlled the opening stages with See and McFarland going close before Mushin sent a first-time volley into Stewart’s arms. The visitors then made their superiority count by opening the scoring in style. McKee played a back heel one-two with John Dunn taking a touch and stroking the ball across Stewart into the far corner after quarter of an hour.

It was deservedly 2-0 on 27 minutes. John Dunn was wiped out as he drove down the left and from the resulting free-kick, Harrison smashed a low shot past Stewart at the near post, the keeper getting a hand to it but unable to keep it out.

BSC gradually began to impose themselves in an attacking sense and pulled one back six minutes before the break. 
Kieran O’Hear found space on the right and whipped in a 
delightful delivery for Ferris, who slid it past Gregor Amos.

McFarland then pounced on a poor throw from Stewart, but the goalkeeper recovered well to smother his powerful drive at the near post. A third City goal looked likely and See finally got his reward just after the hour, gambling on a long kick from Amos and out-jumping Stewart to the bouncing ball to nod home.

The Capital club were comfortable after that, looking more likely to add to their lead than BSC were to staging a comeback. The result was beyond doubt when O’Donnell was shown a straight red for the hosts for flicking a boot at Mark McConnell off the ball.

Goalscorer McKee admitted after his opening goal that he wasn’t likely to be troubling the strikers in the top-scorer stakes, but revealed a personal battle with Harrison was hotting up after both found the net. “I don’t know what happened!” he laughed. “I had space in front of me and Dunny’s laid it off perfectly. Luckily it’s nestled in the corner. Me and Shaun Harrison have a bit of a side bet going to see who gets the most goals, so to see him get the free kick after was pretty gutting!”

BSC Glasgow: Stewart, Bembo (O’Donnell 55), Toner, Bronsky, Ramsay, Gray, McKinnon, Cameron, O’Hear, McDougall (Connolly 53), Ferris (Hopes 70).

Edinburgh City: Amos, Caddow, Donaldson, Harrison (MacDonald 70), Mbu, McKee, McFarland, Muhsin, See (T), Dunn, McConnell (MacNamara 89).