Edinburgh City striker John Dunn delighted with cup win

On target: John Dunn
On target: John Dunn
Have your say

John Dunn was delighted with his double which helped Edinburgh City to a comprehensive 5-0 home win in their William Hill Scottish Cup preliminary-round tie against Fort William.

Dougie Gair, Mark Osborne and Ian McFarland also found the net on a day when Gary Jardine’s team never looked in any danger of falling at the first hurdle.

There was more than a touch of fortune about Dunn’s second goal when his attempted cross sailed into the far corner, but the striker was happy just to find the net.

He explained: “I’m delighted. Any time you get on the scoresheet is a bonus. I got a few goals last season for Craigroyston and I was hoping to do the same this time, but the main thing is the result. Five-nil is a cracking result.

“There’s a question mark over the second goal in terms of my intention, but the first one was a good finish so I’m happy with that. The second was probably wind assisted!”

City captain Dougie Gair marked his return to the starting line-up by opening the scoring on 33 minutes. Mark Osborne’s perseverance resulted in him partially blocking visiting goalkeeper Robin Harvey’s clearance. Gair collected the ball on the edge of the area before striding forward and dispatching low under Harvey to give his team the lead.

Dunn notched his first and the Meadowbank side’s second ten minutes later. Ian Mcfarland’s dummy after some neat approach play gave the No.10 a clear sight of goal and he finished coolly into the far corner.

The tie was beyond Fort William’s reach just two minutes after the re-start. Osborne’s searching pass found Dunn on the right. In attempting to pick out Gordon Donaldon’s lung-bursting run from deep, the forward saw his cross float over Harvey and in at the back post to make it 3-0.

Dunn turned provider for City’s fourth goal on 69 minutes. He skipped away from a challenge to hit the by-line before cutting-back for Osborne, who smashed in his sixth of the season from 12 yards.

Osborne should have claimed his second and his team’s fifth with three minutes left, but City’s top scorer blazed over with the goal gaping.

Midfielder Ian McFarland succeeded where his team-mate had failed within 60 seconds. Dunn again found space in the box before picking out City’s No.7, who composed himself and prodded home at the back post to complete the scoring.

Manager Jardine was content after successfully negotiating a tie he felt had the potential to be a tricky one for his team:

“We’d watched Fort William, who are like a new team this season. They’ve been beaten 2-1. 2-1, 1-0 and 3-2 so every game’s been competitive.

“We knew if we got at them early and got a goal then the longer it went on it would get more difficult. It was a bit difficult until we got the first goal but you saw after that we started to relax.

“We’re certainly a team that try and play and get the ball down. The confidence is there from the first three wins of the season.”

And the City boss was pleased that his side spread the goals around in what was undoubtedly an accomplished display.

He continued: “Both forwards got goals and I was pleased for Mark [Osborne] who put a lot of running in. That’s ten years Dougie Gair’s been here now and that was his 15th goal in the Scottish Cup and I’m pleased for Ian [McFarland] who was fantastic again. I’m really happy with the spread of goals.”

Edinburgh City: Stobie, Caddow (Wishart 71), Donaldson (Harrison 63), McKee, Paterson, Mbu, McFarland, Torrance, Gair (Pentland 68), Dunn, Osborne.

Fort William: Harvey, Foggo, Hardwick, Moffat, Martin, Quigg (Gemmell 58), MacLean, MacKintosh, Stein Tot 63), MacLellan (McKay 79), Grant.