Edinburgh South Vics’ beat California FC 5-0

Have your say

Edinburgh South Vics ran out 5-0 winners in their East of Scotland Cup third-round 
clash with California FC at Saughton.

It was one of the few games to be given the go-ahead as weather conditions once again hampered the weekend’s 
amateur card.

Vics’ Falkirk-based opponents struggled to counteract the home side’s first half dominance and were lucky 
to be heading in at the 
break only one down courtesy of Alan Baillie’s strike after 40 minutes.

However, 15 minutes into the second half, the home side doubled their advantage through Baillie’s second goal of the cup tie.

Michael Kennedy then got his name on the scoresheet with a third after finishing off a fine move for Vics before the same player was on hand to score again to claim his own double of the afternoon.

Ryan Moore then completed the scoring to make it 5-0 with a neat finish to send the 
Premier Division 1 side through to the next stage.

Vics’ secretary John Love was pleased with his players’ application in a match they controlled from start to finish.

Love said: “They were an older side so we definitely edged it on fitness and had a lot of chances, particularly in the first half.

“We didn’t take those chances but we’re pleased to get through. We’re playing well at this moment in time and have another big cup game on Saturday against Danderhall.

“They always give us a stuffy game but we’re the home side so we’re confident.”

Miller time is Wanderer-full

North Edinburgh Wanderers 
emerged 3-1 winners over 
Edinburgh East opponents Redpath Albion in their Miller Cup second-round clash at 

Wanderers were forced to play the match with ten players but gained the initiative when Dale 
Robertson found space to 
advance on goal and slip the ball 
under Albion goalkeeper Darren 

Albion did respond before half-time and were back on level terms through Greg Murray but Gavin Rutherford saw red for the visitors for a challenge on the Wanderers keeper. 
Wanderers restored their 
advantage in the second period when David McLeod’s corner was unexpectedly punched into his own net by Wallace.

Wanderers then ensured their passage into the third round when McLeod was upended in the penalty area and a spot kick was awarded. Despite Wallace saving Robertson’s initial effort from 12 yards, he was unable to prevent Robertson knocking in the rebound.

Wanderers’ James Robertson said: “They were a decent side, played well and had a few chances in the first half. I think we managed to take control in the final 15 minutes and are pleased to get the win.”

Albion’s Chris O’Brien felt the sending-off changed the complexion of the match. “I thought it was harsh but we still had a lot of chances where their goalkeeper played very well,” he said.

Heriot-Watt up the ante

Heriot-Watt kept up the pressure on Edinburgh West league leaders Blackridge Vale of Craig after a 3-1 triumph over strugglers Caledonia Star at Riccarton.

Victory not only keeps Watt’s undefeated record intact, they are now only six points adrift of top spot with two games in hand over their rivals.

It was visitors Star, however, who opened the scoring only minutes in when John Patterson fired in a terrific free-kick from 25 yards. However, Chris Cronin was in the right place to direct the ball into the bottom corner from inside the box for Watt’s equaliser before Cronin struck again when he received a pass from Matt Murchan and curled the ball into the top 
corner from the edge of the penalty area to make it 2-1 at the break.

Ruaridh Cumming then wrapped up three points for the home side in the second half when he bundled home from close range before Martin Green missed a penalty for Watt in the final minute of play.

Watt’s Murchan said: “It should have been about 20 as we missed a hatful of chances. ”

l LEAFA clubs are reminded there is a council meeting on Thursday, at Meggetland Sports Complex starting at 7pm. All clubs should be