Edinburgh Star’s incredible fight back secures cup final

The odds appeared to be stacked against Star before Zander Paget scored
The odds appeared to be stacked against Star before Zander Paget scored
Have your say

Edinburgh Star staged a sensational comeback to reach the final of the Anderson Cup as they came from 3-1 down in extra time to beat Heriot-Watt 4-3, with ten men.

With minutes to spare of extra time Star found a dramatic winner as Zander Paget’s free kick from halfway deceived goalkeeper Finley Murchie to nestle in the net for what would prove to be the goal that booked Star their date with destiny.

The game got off to a frenetic start at Saughton 3G and with five minutes on the clock the drama already began to unfold. Watt’s David Dunnett saw his header from a corner handled on the line by Star’s Eddie Hume, leaving the referee no choice but to dismiss the defender and award Watt a penalty which Bruce Hay stuck away.

Watt should have been out of sight by the end of the half and after the break Star began to come back into the game, eventually levelling through Scott Davidson’s header.

It was end-to-end stuff but neither team could find a winner meaning extra time would be required. Watt looked out of sight as Hay and Jamie Booth thumped two strikes in to make it 3-1.

Incredibly though Star were not dead and buried and they produced an incredible comeback to turn the game around. Substitutes Liam Elder and Gavin Ruthven steered in from close range to make it 2-3 then 3-3.

St Bernard’s knocked out

Linlithgow Thistle progressed to the Centenary Cup quarter finals with a hard-earned 3-1 win over St Bernard’s at Linlithgow Leisure Centre.

It was an end-to-end start i with both sides having a fair share of possession. But Thistle made their’s count when they took the lead on 20 minutes. Gary Mitchell latched on to a flighted pass forward before dinking the ball in from close range.

St Bernard’s looked lively and should really have been level but Scott Bruce in the Thistle goal kept out Steven Clee and Ryan Pollock.

Building on that Thistle added another to put themselves in a commanding position. Billy Bauros sent through Dylan Robb down the right to finish on his weaker right foot.

Saints had worked hard for extended periods in the game and they deservedly pulled a goal back towards the end of the first half. Steven Wilson blocked a Thistle clearance deep in the enemy half and Darren Nicol picked it up to bury the ball into the goal.

Thistle had to be on their guard to prevent conceding another after the break as Saints continued to match their opponents in all departments. With 20 minutes remaining the hosts secured the victory as Donald Whitelaw burst to the byeline allowing Graeme Deans to finish from three yards out.

Danderhall into last eight

Danderhall Miners saw off Edinburgh United Alba to reach the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup, winning 2-1 at Danderhall Recreation Park.

It was a slow start to the game for both sides with neither playing to their full potential, but despite that Hall were able to get their noses in front. Andy Dailly won the ball at the heart of the Alba defence and he crossed the ball for Grant Aitchison to head in past Gary Dalgleish.

Alba upped their game in response and they managed to pick out an equaliser as the half progressed. Ciaran Duffy produced a moment of magic in the box to beat his marker to the loose ball and fire into the roof of the net.

With the momentum in their favour Alba could then have been ahead but Danny Smith’s effort from distance hit the crossbar.

It was mighty close for Alba and Hall made them pay with a second goal on the stroke of half-time. Colin Lawson got the ball into the box from out wide and Aitchison struck again with a neat finish to make it 2-1.

After the interval both sides huffed and puffed to little effect, meaning Hall held on for a narrow win.