EoS: Leith Athletic go eight points clear

Lewis Martin scored a hat-trick for Leith
Lewis Martin scored a hat-trick for Leith
Have your say

A clinical second-half display from Leith Athletic against Duns at New Hawthorn Park stretched their unbeaten league run to eight matches and sent them eight points clear at the top of The East of Scotland League.

Derek Riddel’s side arrived in the Borders in high spirits against a Duns team who, like their opponents, are in the semi-finals of The Alex Jack Cup.

The best chances of the first half fell to the hosts with Daniel Pattenden and Michael Robinson both going close.

But Athletic took the lead on 35 minutes when Lewis Martin cracked in a low drive from the edge of the area.

The second half saw a goal blitz with Martin completing his hat-trick, Kerr Allan and Sean Murphy also on target, as well as an own goal helping the Meadowbank side to an impressive 6-1 win with Robinson scoring for Duns.

A late strike from Zack Williams earned Craigroyston a morale boosting three points against Civil Service Strollers in a derby at Christie Gillies Park.

Strollers were guilty of spurning a host of chances in the game with Kyle Boggie and Ian Ballatyne going close. The major flashpoint came with ten minutes to go when Jason Young was sent off for a second bookable offence for violent conduct, with Craigroyston midfielder Steven Togneri also given his marching orders moments later.

But, with time running out, substitute Williams cracked in a superb strike for his first goal of the season to hand Craigroyston their first away win of the season.

Strollers manager Alex Cunningham rued his side’s wasteful finishing in the aftermath.

“We had numerous chances to win the game and we didn’t take them. Fair play to Craigroyston who scrapped and fought for everything.”

Spartans EOS maintained their good run of form at Ainslie Park although they had to come from behind against a spirited Eyemouth United side.

Darren Bowie put the visitors in front with a header on 35 minutes from a corner before Andy Howat equalised for Spartans five minutes later.

Spartans’ two second-half goals were both well executed with Sean Stewart dispatching a stinging drive into the far corner following a pass from Brad Raiker. Substitute McLean Simpson put the seal on Spartans’ comeback when he curled an effort into the bottom corner with Gary Scott sent off in the dying moments for Eyemouth.

“I was delighted for McLean getting on the target, he’s a graduate from the Under-20s and he took his goal really well in a game we had to dig deep to win,” said Spartans EOS boss Colin Tomassi.

Tynecastle were 3-2 victors over Peebles Rovers at Saughton Enclosure with Haydn Crane scoring and Scott Coleman netting two while a Chris Donnelly hat-trick was not enough to prevent Heriot-Watt-University slipping to a 5-3 defeat at Coldstream.