EOS: Relentless Leith Athletic go 19 points clear

Have your say

Leith Athletic remain on course for The East of Scotland League title after a 3-2 win over Civil Service Strollers at Christie Gillies Park on Saturday.

In front of a bumper 165 attendance which was boosted by the appearance of the ‘Groundhop’ day bus, Leith took the lead after 40 seconds when Steven Glynn slid in from close range from a corner.

Fifteen minutes later, Neil Lowson doubled the visitors’ lead when he thundered in a header from a cross.

Kyle Boggie pulled a goal back for Civil when he took advantage of a defensive mistake to slot into an empty net, before Robbie Mason restored Leith’s two-goal lead from the penalty spot on half-time.

James Hainey came closest for Leith in the second half with Civil’s Craig Newall receiving his marching orders for dissent on 78 minutes. Boggie netted a late goal for Strollers with an impressive finish from a tight angle, but the visitors stretched their unbeaten run to seven games to stay 19 points clear.

Strollers are in action tomorrow night when they face Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale at Saughton Enclosure in the re-arranged Central Taxis League Cup first round (7.30pm kick-off).

Spartans EoS made it five games undefeated after a 3-1 win over Stirling University at Ainslie Park.

Andy Howat opened the scoring just after the interval, before Brad Raiker doubled the lead with a solo effort on 57 minutes.

Howat scored the third goal late on before Stirling pulled a goal back as Colin Tomassi’s side went five points clear of Heriot-Watt in second place.

Heriot-Watt drew 2-2 with Peebles Rovers in the Borders with Neil Robb and Chris Donnelly on target for Ian Little’s side.

There was a six-goal thriller at St Marks Park as Craigroyston and Tynecastle shared the points. Dale Pennycuik put Craigrosyston ahead on 19 minutes before Scott Coleman equalised for Tynecastle. Stewart Adams scored again on 59 minutes for Tynecastle but Craigryoston’s Stewart Fisher drew the hosts level.

Coleman thought he’d won the match for the visitors on 78 minutes with a third goal, but Keith Buckley’s effort ten minutes later ensured a draw.