Fifth final for Tynie 17s as Edina Hibs fall short

Tynecastle Under-17s
Tynecastle Under-17s
Have your say

Tynecastle 17s reached their fifth Trans World Soccer Scottish Cup final in a row as they defeated Edina Hibs 5-3 in the semi-final at St Mark’s Park.

The boys in maroon had to show real spirit as they fought back from 1-0 and then 2-1 down to win what turned out to be an entertaining semi-final tie on Sunday

The victory set up a final showdown with Antonine Blacks at Airdrieonians’ Excelsior Stadium in May.

On a misty day at the home of Craigroyston, Edina Hibs took the lead after 27 minutes when a free-kick on the left was played short to Ryan Smith, who collected the pass before curling a great shot far beyond Jamie Shiel’s reach and into the top corner.

Tynecastle levelled five minutes later when Jason Kerr crossed from the left for Matthew Graham, who side-footed the ball home at the back post.

Edina regained the lead three minutes later, when Tyler Connachan forced in the rebound after an audacious bicycle kick was saved by Shiel.

Tynecastle came out fired up after the break and they levelled the match again in 58 minutes when Tynie skipper Matthew Quinn met a corner kick in a central position and fired home via the underside of the crossbar.

With their tails up, Tynie then edged ahead for the first time in the game when Greg Kerr drove home a crisp first-time shot after being teed up inside the box.

Kerr then put daylight between the teams two minutes later as he pounced on a good pass from the right and fired past Edina stopper Chris Scott to make it 4-2.

Edina set up a dramatic finale when Leon Bell’s penalty reduced the deficit to 4-3.

But Tynie killed off any hopes of an Edina fightback and made sure of another trip to Airdrie when Laurence Naismith tapped in a David Henderson cross from close range after being left unmarked at the back post.

Jack’s the lad for Villa

Jack Allan scored all four goals to inspire Longniddry Villa Colts to an emphatic 4-0 win over Haddington Athletic in the under-13s AC Taxis Cup final.

Longniddry took the lead at Millfield Park when Allan slotted home after being picked out at the far post by a free-kick delivery from Blake Dyer.

The spectators were seeing double after just five minutes when Allan got his second.

Again, Haddington conceded a free-kick near the halfway line and again they failed to prevent Blake’s delivery to Allan. This time, Allan rifled the ball into the top corner. Within 15 minutes of kicking off, Haddington found themselves three down. Ryan Osborne picked up the ball in the middle of the park and beat two players before setting up Allan, who finished for his hat-trick.

Two minutes before the break, Allan completed his quadruple of goals and sealed the AC Taxis Cup for Longniddry, as he rounded the goalkeeper following a high ball from Osborne that beat the defence.

Valiant Vics reach final

Newcraighall Leith Vics 13s retaliated from going a goal down to beat Spartans FC Youth 13s 4-1 and reach the Lothian Buses Cup final.

Spartans took the lead five minutes into the semi-final clash but Newcraighall responded after 25 minutes through Jordan Daly, who passed the ball into the net following a slick passing move.

The game turned in Vics’ favour as they edged ahead just before half-time. Newcraighall broke up a Spartans attack and countered them, the ball being played to Yrick Gallantes, whose cross-cum-shot was spilled into the net by the Spartans goalkeeper.

Newcraighall extended their advantage five minutes after the interval when Colin McKinnon’s close-range shot found the net following a knock-on from a corner.

John Robertson sealed an impressive victory in the 75th minute when he chipped the goalkeeper from 20 yards out.