Five first-half goals put Sandys through to the last 16

Have your say

A GLITTERING 6-0 show from Sandys ended Dunedin Athletic’s Centenary Cup dreams at Broughton High School.

The visitors were in scintillating form in the opening 45 minutes, scoring as early as the third minute with David Aitkenhead perhaps staking a claim for the first, however, the final touch appeared to have come off a Dunedin defender.

Dale Miller then made it two with a clinical strike from the edge of the penalty area before Liam Todd made it three with a similar effort to that of Miller’s.

Dunedin were struggling to adapt to the pace and finesse of their opponents and Michael Osborne made it four with a neat finish before the striker grabbed his second prior to the half-time interval to put Sandys five to the good.

The home side restored some pride in the second half 
with a spirited performance and matched their opponents across the pitch. However, the visitors rediscovered their potency in front of goal to add a sixth when James Riley knocked home.

Sandys now travel to Whitburn Bluebell in the last 16.

Sandys’ Alex Handyside said: “The boys put in a good effort and got the goals we needed. We were the much better side in the first half and played 
really well. We lost our way a little in the second and 
Dunedin found theirs but we’re pleased to be through.”

Dunedin coach Steven Binney was complimentary to his side’s opponents.

Binney said: “Well done to Sandys, they were clinical in front of goal and took advantage of their opportunities. However, in the second half our players refused to capitulate and fortified themselves to display a more encouraging performance.”

Star warm Mr Sunshine

Lothian Star edged Scottish Widows 3-2 in their Miller Cup second-round tie at Fisherrow, much to the delight of coach Jason Sunshine.

He said: “It was a good performance and we’re delighted to have beaten a team from a higher division. We are 
focused on the league but would like a good cup run as well.”

Widows gained the early advantage when Colin Lawson converted from the penalty spot but Daniel O’Neill’s 
cross -cum-shot ended up in the back of the net to restore parity. Widows’ goalkeeper Andy Hogarth then had to be substituted with a suspected broken wrist after landing awkwardly.

Widows regained their advantage through Mark Brunston’s piercing left-foot drive but Star’s determination saw them pull level for a second time through Neemo Murray’s header. With ten minutes remaining, Star sealed their passage through to the third round when Shaun Bailey curled a 25 yard free-kick into the top corner.

Widows’ Jim McNulty said: “We should have been two or three up before they scored their first goal so we let 
ourselves down there.”

Alba’s best of the season

Alba Athletic are through to the third round of the Ian McDonald Cup after a comfortable 2-0 defeat of Dunalba AFC at Forrester High.

Alba should have emerged with a more handsome victory than the scoreline suggests but manager Craig Nisbet was delighted to progress to the next stage in what he admitted was his side’s best performance of the season.

Nisbet said: “We were in complete control for the entire 90 minutes. We never looked like conceding and that’s no disrespect to Dunalba, but the performance was our best in probably a season-and-a-half. I made a couple of changes to the team and a couple of the guys who haven’t been getting a game came in and played very well.”

However, Alba were made to wait until the 20th minute before the deadlock was broken. Michael Yuill picked up the ball at the edge of the penalty area and cut in before delivering a terrific strike into the top corner of the net.

Alba made it two 20 minutes later when Dunalba failed to clear their lines after a corner from the right and Stuart 
Affleck was on hand to nod the ball in from three yards out to settle the tie.