Former Hibee hit five for Junior club but still didn’t win match

Taylor Hendry was at Hibs as a youngster
Taylor Hendry was at Hibs as a youngster
Have your say

Edinburgh United striker Taylor Hendry smashed in five goals last weekend for the Paties Road club, but incredibly he didn’t end up on the winning side.

The former Hibs youngster had Edinburgh seemingly cruising with five minutes to play as they led Craigroyston 5-2 in a South Division clash at St Mark’s Park, only to concede three and leave Hendry sharing the points and the match ball with home hat-trick hero Keith Buckley.

“With five minutes to go we were 5-2 up then I think we just lost a wee bit of concentration and they did well to get themselves back into it, which was a nightmare for us,” said the 21-year-old.

“You think scoring one goal is enough but scoring five you think you’ve got the game wrapped up with five minutes to play, but that’s football – if you lose concentration anything can happen. You win as a team and lose as a team. You can’t blame a certain player or the defence, it was all our fault really.

“I maybe scored five in a game when I was 15 or when I’m at the astro playing with my pals, but it’s been a while.”

A free-scoring forward in his days with Hutchison Vale, Hendry earned a move to Ipswich at 16 but he only spent a year at their academy in Suffolk before returning north, joining Hibs where he spent the best part of two-and-a-half years.

After failing to win himself a new deal at Hibs, Hendry spent some time out from the game, before he had a short stint with Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale prior to joining Edinburgh last summer.

“I enjoyed my time at Hibs – everyone at the club was fantastic. You never really know if you’re going to get kept on or not. I didn’t get told until about March or April, you are kind of hoping you have done enough and you can’t really help if the manager has different plans.

“Just after I left Hibs, Calum Elliot [then Edinburgh United manager] asked me to come in and help out during pre-season. I wasn’t doing anything else and it was literally five minutes from my house so I went down and did a bit of training with him. I left that for a bit then he phoned me literally a year later, so I went to see how it was and I knew some of the boys as well so that helped and I’ve just stayed there ever since.”