Fourth victory on the trot gives Bathgate confidence

Share this article
Have your say

Bathgate Thistle 1

Kelty Hearts 0

bathgate kept up their Super League title challenge against a well organised Kelty Hearts team.

Kelty were forced to make changes due to injury and Bathgate had a change in defence with Ross Hamilton taking over from Chris Wilson who was transferred to Clydebank during the week.

The home side should have opened the scoring in the second minute but Colin Leiper turned Brian Fairbairn’s free-kick high over the crossbar from close range.

The same player was then unlucky to see his header, from a Fairbairn corner, deflected for a corner kick just minutes later.

Bathgate were controlling most of the play but Thistle keeper Carlin had to look lively to block a Conrad Courts shot from 20 yards 26 minutes into the game.

Then, on the half-hour mark, Gary McCulloch eased his way through the Kelty defence and fired in a shot from 25 yards which keeper Fleming did well to block.

The opening goal came in the 34th minute when Thistle’s Chris Jeffrey flicked a low free-kick from Fairbairn past the Kelty keeper into the net.

The visitors came more into the game in the second half but neither team created many chances although the home supporters was pleased to see keeper Carlin block a strong shot from Robbie Henderson 15 minutes from time.

Bathgate manager, Graeme Love, who was naturally delighted with his team’s performance, said: “I believe we deserved this victory.

“We dominated most of the game apart from a short spell in the second half and should have added to our goal tally, but four victories on the trot helps the confidence within the team.”

Bathgate Thistle: Carlin, McCulloch, Hamilton, Leiper, Buchanan, Fallon (Hogg 78), Andreoni, Fairbairn, McSween (Trialist 84), Jeffrey, McColligan (Bonnes 67): Subs: McGrath, Lunn.

Kelty Hearts: Fleming, Stewart, Duffin, T Courts, Kay, Clark, Meikle, N McCabe, C Courts, Henderson (McCabe 77). Duell. Subs: Winiarski, King, Findlay, Penman, Forbes.