Frustration for Bo’ness and Broxburn as cold bites

The Broxburn and Bo'ness players were struggling to see the ball. Picture: Malcolm McCurrach
The Broxburn and Bo'ness players were struggling to see the ball. Picture: Malcolm McCurrach
Have your say

Bo’ness United boss Allan McGonigal felt his side’s match away to Broxburn Athletic should not have gone ahead.

The Super League fixture was eventually stopped by referee Stephen Brown at half-time due to heavy snow.

Visitors Bo’ness were 1-0 ahead at the break on the artificial surface as they sought to make up ground between themselves and second-placed Newtongrange Star – the goal coming from former Broxburn star Scott Pittman against a home side managed by his dad, Steve.

Another blow for the champions is that winger Nicky Walker, who was serving the second game of his two-match suspension for a red card against Penicuik Athletic two weeks ago, will now miss Saturday’s trip to Junior Cup holders Hurlford United in the fourth round.

“At the time, I thought it was the right decision to call the game off, although I thought the right decision would’ve been for us not to have even been here,” said McGonigal. “I can understand the referee’s decision to go ahead with the game, but I think when you have a wind swirling about like that and the forecast is that bad, then we always knew what the conditions were going to be.”

Broxburn boss Pittman, whose side were unlucky to go into the break a goal behind, was in agreement with his counterpart, he said: “It was the right to decision to call the game off. Our players said it was hard for them to see in the last 15-20 minutes of the first half because the snow was coming down that hard.

“I think the two teams play good football so there was no point in spoiling the game – it would’ve been a good game if the snow never came.”

The home side came close to an opener on 11 minutes when striker James Donaldson let fly from 25 yards out, but his long-range drive was tipped over expertly by visiting keeper Conor Wallace.

Pittman introduced himself on his first return to Albyn Park since his departure in the summer with a 20th-minute strike. Former Broxburn team-mate Mark Cowan laid the ball off to him and the attacking midfielder slid in to send the ball past Gary Maley.

In blizzard-like conditions the half continued. Home defender Calum Rarity might have used the weather as an excuse when he almost sent Darren Gribben’s low cross into his own net, but, luckily for him, his intervention cleared the goal frame.

Donaldson came close to netting an equaliser before the break, but his effort from inside the area clipped he wrong side of Wallace’s right hand post.