Gilmerton through to last four of Edinburgh Cup

Gilmerton FC overcame a strong start from Charwood FC before going on to win by a single goal
Gilmerton FC overcame a strong start from Charwood FC before going on to win by a single goal
Have your say

Gilmerton FC progressed to the semi-finals of the Edinburgh Cup with a narrow 1-0 away win over Charwood FC at Forrester High School.

The home side started off the brighter of the two teams in the opening stages as they went close on multiple occasions.

Graeme Cummings came closest in the 18th minute when he ran onto James Steel’s through pass.

Just inside the penalty area, he opted for power over placement and the shot ended up straight at Gilmerton goalie Kyle Rankin.

Five minutes later, Charwood were adamant they should have had a penalty when Steel was bundled over in the box but the referee waved away protests.

With neither side able to get on the scoresheet before half-time, both sides threw caution to the wind in the second half in a bid to go ahead.

Gilmerton were causing the Charwood defence all sorts of problems but just couldn’t beat Scott Walker in the opposition goal.

The hosts’ resilience eventually faded, however, as with ten minutes to go Jake Stevenson got on the end of a cross to volley home and book his side’s place in the next round.

Thistle turn on the style

Craigshill Thistle negotiated a tricky away tie at Rosyth AFC to run out emphatic 7-1 winners in the fifth round of the Scottish Cup.

The West Lothian side – one of only three LEAFA league teams left in the competition – got off to a perfect start when Craig Chilton headed in from a corner.

Just before the half-time interval, the visitors added another to make it 2-0 when David Swan shot across goal from the edge of the box to find the far corner.

Into the second half, Craigshill turned on the style and fired in five goal past their opponents in what was a ruthless attacking display.

Five minutes after the restart, Shaun Martin provided width down the right before cutting the ball back to Frazer Roy, who tapped into the net from six yards.

After Martin himself got on the scoresheet to make it 4-0, Swan powered through the Rosyth midfield to lob the goalie from the edge of the box with a sumptuous chip.

Roy then emulated Swan’s goal with a beautifully weighted chip of his own to extend the scoreline further in the 75th minute.

Joe Mcnee then added a resounding seventh goal late on for Craigshill Thistle with a cross-cum-shot, before Rosyth grabbed a late consolation in injury time through James O’Donnell.

Tynie shoot down Star

Tynecastle FC were dogged 2-0 winners in a closely-fought Centenary Cup third round tie against Redhall Star at Forrester High School.

After a quiet start, Tynecastle came close on multiple opportunities, only to be denied by Redhall goalie Gary Aitchison who was in fine form.

It was something to build on for the visitors and into the second half Redhall came alive and put Tynecastle under heaps of pressure. Despite pinning them deep into their own half, the visitors were unable to create much in the final third and with 20 minutes to go it was to cost them when they went behind.

Former Redhall striker Stephen Finnie struck a sweet, looping shot from 25 yards which Aitchison in the Redhall goal could do nothing about as it flew over his head into net.

Ten minutes later, another cracking strike – this time from David Middlemiss – flew into the top corner of the goal to guarantee Tynecastle a place in the next round of the competition.