Gotham kapowed by late salvo

West End United turned around a two-goal deficit to earn a themselves a share of the spoils against Gotham City at Gyle Park
West End United turned around a two-goal deficit to earn a themselves a share of the spoils against Gotham City at Gyle Park
Have your say

Sunday Morning League leaders West End United came from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Gotham City at Gyle Park.

Gotham began the stronger of the two sides in the opening stages, controlling the game and creating opportunities to score.

By the 20th minute, their persistence had paid off, Harry Kolinsky’s audacious 35-yard effort leaving the goalkeeper helpless.

Maintaining their good start to the game, the home side doubled their advantage with five minutes of the first half remaining. Graeme Page got up well to flick a header into the far corner of the goal.

On the verge of the half-time, West End sprung to life, pulling a crucial goal back thanks to a brave finish from James Spence six yards out.

After the interval, the visitors looked to build on their goal and looked the more threatening of the two sides.

With time running out, Gotham looked like holding on for the points. However, West End never gave up, and in the final minute, they snatched a point when Spence seized on a loose ball 20 yards out to rifle home.

Thistle sting Bluebell late

Craigshill THISTLE booked their place in the third round of the Centenary Cup with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Whitburn Bluebell at King George V Park. With both sides pressing early on it was only a matter of time before the deadlock was broken. The visitors showed persistence and won a corner on the 20-minute mark, which was swung into the back post. Unmarked, George McGregor got up well to head in past the goalie to make it 1-0 to Craigshill.

Not looking to rollover, Whitburn fought back into the game, and came close to levelling things up ten minutes later. Barry Higgins was played through one-on-one, but the Craigshill goalie made a superb low save to block the shot away.

On the verge of half-time the hosts’ efforts were rewarded when they grabbed an equaliser. Donald Whitelaw crossed the ball in from the left, and Liam Riley powered a header into the goal.

In an end-to-end second half, both sides created an abundance of opportunities but weren’t having any luck in the final third.

With 15 minutes to play, Craighill were reduced to ten men as scorer McGregor saw red, but it wasn’t enough to deter the Livingston side. Frazer Roy powered in a header with five minutes to go to put them into the third round of the cup.

Nichol hits Star brace

Redhall STAR ran out 4-0 winners against East Calder United in a hotly-contested league fixture at Forrester High School.

In the first minute of the game, Darren Carter got the hosts off to a dream start. Ross Weir played in a perfectly-weighted ball to Carter, and he hammered it home.

Despite good work in attack from the visitors, East Calder were unable to pull a goal back, missing a penalty in the process.

It was costly, as after the break Redhall took things up a gear and soon went into a 2-0 lead. Chris White put the ball on a plate for Darren Nichol, and he finished from eight yards.

Redhall continued to pass the ball around well in the final third and in the last ten minutes they grabbed two more. First, Greg Weir played in 
Nichol, who rounded the keeper and found the net.

Then, after a mazy run from right-back Ross Weir, the ball was played to Nichol on the edge of the box. His backheel pass found Greg Weir, who fired into the bottom corner.