Handy Thom seals a semi-final spot for Leith

Mark Leslie scored for Leith Athletic
Mark Leslie scored for Leith Athletic
Have your say

LEITH ATHLETIC sealed their passage into the semi-finals of the Central Taxis League Cup after a dramatic 2-1 extra-time win over Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale at Meadowbank 3G.

Derek Riddel’s table-toppers were missing a few key individuals against the side, who are only a point behind them in the Premier Division.

Scott Moffat gave Lothian the lead midway through the first half but the hosts equalised on 71 minutes through centre half Mark Leslie. Hutchie had defender Grant Munro ordered off for a late challenge with ten minutes of the regulation 90 left.

Five minutes into extra time, Willis Hare was sent off for the visitors after a rash challenge and Kevin Twaddle’s men had to play the final five minutes with eight men when goalscorer Moffat had to withdraw with a calf injury.

Just when it seemed like the match would be decided by spot-kicks, Leith’s Lachlan Thom scored a superb individual goal with three minutes to spare.

Lothian manager Twaddle said: “The team with the better attitude won the game. It was very disappointing for me as a manager to watch that because we were in a winning position.”

In the third round of the South Region Challenge Cup, Civil Service Strollers triumphed over Heriot Watt University 3-1 on penalties after a 2-2 draw at the end of extra time.

The students took the lead through Scott Davies with James Guy equalising for Strollers in the second period.

In extra time, Fin Watt restored Watt’s advantage but Guy converted a second from the penalty spot to ensure spot-kicks.

Strollers keeper Michael Lee saved three of Watt’s spot-kicks, leading manager Ross McNeil to say: “I was delighted with the performance of Michael. “He is developing as a goalkeeper all the time.”

In the Premier Division, Easthouses Lily defeated Stirling University 3-1 in what was the Midlothian outfit’s first competitive game since December 6.

Graeme Young’s first half hat-trick at Newbattle Complex ensured Lily are now only a point second-placed Lothian Thistle HV, whoh they face this weekend. Dave McQueenie’s men also have two games in hand over Lothian and Leith.

Spartans EOS recorded a 4-0 victory over Craigroyston in Paul Cavanagh’s last match in charge as interim manager of the St Marks Park club before Grant Carney takes the reins.

Two goals apiece from Haydn Crane and Kyle Bogie gave Alex Cunningham’s side a deserved win, while in the First Division, Ormiston defeated Kelso United
3-1 to remain joint top with Peebles Rovers.