Heriot-Watt’s deadly strike duo book semi-final berth

Michael Webster
Michael Webster
Have your say

Head coach Chris Smith hailed the strike partnership of Michael Webster and Chris Donnelly as Heriot-Watt University took the scalp of Premier League Craigroyston in the Alex Jack Cup.

The Central Taxis First Division outfit will now face Premier League leaders and cup holders Leith Athletic at Meadowbank on Saturday, October 4, with a place in the final at stake.

The Uni picked up their first league win of the campaign last weekend with a 1-0 victory over Eyemouth United, and with several more experienced players returning to the squad after the summer recess, Smith’s students will be in a positive frame of mind heading into the semi-final.

“On the whole, I thought we created the better chances on the day and with the exception of a 15 to 20 minute spell in the second half when Craigroyston had us under the cosh; we were very positive,” said Smith.

“It is the first time in a while that we’ve been able to play both Michael and Chris up front and they both took their goals well, they could maybe have scored another two goals each but their goalkeeper had a good game.”

Webster gave Heriot-Watt a sixth-minute lead at St Mark’s Park when he slotted home from a corner. The visitors doubled their lead early in the second half when Webster turned provider for Donnelly to fire in from close range.

In other weekend Alex Jack Cup action, Leith Athletic saw off the brave challenge of First Division Duns at Meadowbank with a 5-1 victory.

Two goals from Robbie Mason – one a penalty – Chris Beaton, Steven Philip and Euan Campbell saw Athletic through after Stevie Shennan had given the Borderers hope in the 55th minute with a goal that reduced Athletic’s lead to one. “Cup games are all about getting through to the next round and whilst we probably didn’t play at our best today, we’re into the semi-finals,” reflected Riddell.

Easthouses Lily bowed out of as a second-half fightback from Peebles Rovers saw them progress to the semi-finals at Newbattle Complex. Darren Robertson had given Lily an early first-half advantage, with Mark Brown’s effort hitting the bar as Lily looked to increase their lead.

They were made to rue those missed opportunities as goals in the second half from Donovan Ndiweni and Frankie Arthur saw Rovers book a semi-final date with Premier League Tynecastle who triumphed 3-2 over Eyemouth United at Fernieside Park.

Stephen McKenzie’s men established what proved to be an insurmountable lead as two goals from Dean Cummings and Connor McDonald were enough to secure the victory, despite late United goals from John Watt and Keith Buckley.